RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Removing an old Client PC and adding a new one

Zimmer

Good morning all,

I purchased and installed a new SSD drive for my laptop. I loaded Win 7 Ultimate and gave the laptop a new name. i ran the connector software with the "SkipJion" option. My W2012E server stil tries running backups for my laptop under the old name and of course it can't find it and gets errors. At the same time I can't get it to baclup my laptop under it's new name. From Launch Pad I select BackUp and get an error. The laptop does appear in the "Devices" tab with the new name.

How do I remove the old laptop name from the Client backup? As for the laoptop, should I remove and reinstall the connector software?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

For sure you need to remove the old client via the dashboard.

The problem is that it doesn't show up in the dashboard. That's what got me stumped. The new client does however. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Oaky. Will do. What do you think I should do about my new client showing up In the "Device" tab but not getting backed up? Should I reinstall the connector?

Thanks.

Yes, I would remove it totally from the server and reinstall the connector.  I think the server is somehow seeing the two as the same machine.

Hey jmwills,

So last night I got home and looked for the old client in AD to delete it but I didn't see it there. No big deal and moved on to uninstalling and reinstalling the connector on my laptop. After doing so, I tried backing up the client by doing  a Manual Backup from Launch Pad. I got an error saying "Backup did not succeed". I went on and installed the connector on two other computers that have never had it before. Tried doing a client backup and got the same error on both. All three devices do show up in the "Devices" tab on the server Dashboard.

Note: All three clients have Intel SSD in them and are running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I installed the connector with the "SkipJoin" option on all three.

Any ideas?