RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to obtain R2 upgrade?

dechah

Greetings, sorry for the newbie question

I am confused about where to get the official R2 ISO from Microsoft to update a Windows Server 2012 Essential installation.  Is there an official download of R2 update that is not TechNet?

I notice that there is a 120 day trial download on the Microsoft website.  Is that ISO able to be used with my official Windows Server 2012 Essentials licence key, or is that build strictly limited to just the 120 day trial?

Any help greatly appreciated

Edited by dechah

Sorry I got the terminology wrong.  Yes I am aware that it requires a complete new install, but is it free for licenced Windows Server 2012 users, or does it require the purchase of another licence?  I was under the impression it was free to licenced Essentials owners?

Assuming it is free to Essential owners, where do you get the ISO other than TechNet?  Related to that, am I right in assuming that Essentials R2 will validate using the Essentials licence key?

Edited by dechah

Thanks, I confirmed this myself.  I loaded up the 180 free trial in Hyper-V and tried unsuccessfully to validate using my WSE2012 key.  I am not dropping AU$799 for a new licence.  There are not $800 worth of improvements in my humble opinion