RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need new HDTV TV

cskenney

I haven't been in the forums much lately due to moving my family to a new home.  When I sold the old house I sold my 58" Panasonic plasma HDTV with it.  I now need to buy a new HDTV and the choices are overwhelming.

I am looking for a TV in the 60" to 65" size for my living room.  The TV will either sit on top of a TV stand (already own) or I will mount it on the wall like I did with the 58" TV in the other house.  My new house has wiring for mounting the TV over the fireplace but this just feels too high on the wall when you are sitting on the couch trying to watch TV.

Anyways, I am looking for recommendations what you guys would buy if you were going out to buy a new TV.  Or maybe you just went through this and have some words of wisdom.

A few other things.

1. I had plasma and I didn't like the heat it put off (but I could live with it again).

2. Plasma uses more energy but I am not sure that is really a concern for me.

3. I will have seating that is off to the sides so not all viewing will be straight on.

4. Price - I am not saying there is no limit but I need to be practical.  I am not looking at 4K

5. I do not need (nor desire) to have 3D capability.

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Chris

Really pleased with the Samsung 55" I bought a couple of years ago. 

Keep you r eyes on the Techbargains site

I have been looking at the Samsung TV's.  There are so many different series it's easy to get caught up on all the hype and think you need the top of the line.

1. completely agree about the fireplace. Why designers insist on putting TV's over fireplaces is totally beyond me. I'd like to strangle all of them :) It's just way too high with respect to most fireplaces;

2. always buy bigger than you think you need. I put a 60" Bravia into our 12'x15' living room and it's not too big. Today, I would get a 70". What I found is that the size makes the difference between just watching TV and being immersed in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 60 inch LG Plasma I bought at Costco for $800.  Excellent!  I took home a Samsung top line Plasma and had them side by side.  I calibrated and could not notice a significant difference in picture quality.  Needless to say I went with the LG.  Good black levels, etc. 

I sit seven feet away from it.  The ideal is 1.3 to 1.5 times the screen size.  If you have an environment where you can control lighting and reflections on to the display go with the Plasma whatever brand you get.  You can be extremely off axis and have no depreciation of picture.  You will not get that with LCD types. 

The newer Plasmas are only slightly more energy hogs than LCD now. 

If you want more details let me know. I shopped and shopped until I dropped before I bought one. 

• Like 1

What are the opinions on these newer Smart TVs? Am a Samsung fan but still seems a Win 7 MC HTPC can do more than the integrated media capabilities. Rely so heavily on mine I'd have anxiety eliminating in and expecting a TV to match same capability. Yet.

So far, I've found the so-called smart features lackluster. For 'normal' people they probably seem pretty futuristic. For the HSS crowd, not so much :)

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma (mounted over a fireplace) and I love it. Yes is eats power and gets hot, but that doesn't really bother me with it up on the wall. Great picture and wide viewing angle. Having it mounted over the fire place doesn't bother me, it makes it easier to see from the kitchen and with a reclining couch it isn't a problem siting ether.

I've also been thinking about getting another TV for the play room. I've been considering a 50" 3D LED unit.

I think I have made a decision.  Now I just need to allocate the funding.

I was trying to decide between a Samsung UN60F7100 LED TV and a Panasonic TC-P60ST60 Plasma.  I went into my neighborhood BestBuy to take a look at the Samsung display and actually found they had the Panasonic in the store too.  Now I was able to compare both TVs (just not side by side).

Here is what I learned.

- The new plasma TVs are definitely much cooler than my old Panasonic plasma TV.

- The off angle image on the plasma is much better then the Samsung LED (already knew this).

- The most important aspect of my comparison has nothing to do with the actual image.  My son has a tendency to try and touch objects on the TV screen and sometimes he hits the TV (Autistic).  He has gotten better about not touching the TV but the reality is he will still do it.  I need a TV with a good solid surface for the display and a LED TV is not good enough.  Plasma still use a glass display so that is what I am going to go with.

A bonus is the Panasonic plasma is about $600 less for me to purchase.

Now to find the funding!