RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Primary DNS suffix issues/ Server connector software issues

suicidegybe

When I uninstalled the server connector software and unenrolled from my old domain, I encountered a problem on two PC's one running windows 8.1 pro and the other running windows 7 ultimate. It disconnected from the domain but left the VPN connection and the primary DNS suffix under MORE in the computer name change section still lists the old domain which is preventing me from connecting to and join my new server 2012 r2 essentials server. How do I finalize the removal of all components so I can connect to my new server?

I did change it to a work group but in that dialog box there is a more button and after you click that there is a setting "primary DNS suffix" which still lists the domain I want to quit and It won't change. Meaning if I do change it it just comes back.

And as far as the VPN goes if I click network connections it still lists the VPN which if you quit the domain properly it goes away.

I really don't want to reinstall windows. On the one PC I can't anyway it is a window 8 tablet and I don't have a windows 8 iso I have pro but because of the integrated OEM key I need to start with windows 8.

Yes but it obviously did not complete successfully. My question is what can I do to gwet it to finish uninstalling so I may connect to my new server?

I thought I had a read a post that you can do it in the programs applet within the control panel.  It should be listed as an installed update.

It was listed under installed updates but after uninstalling it and restarting still having no luck. When I right click computer and click properties the full computer name no longer includes the domain but when I click the change button it shows the full net BIOS name of the PC to include the Domain name in the computer name I believe this to be because the "primary DNS suffix" is still listed as my old domain. But no matter how many times I delete it or run the wizard for a non-domain network ( including manually joining a workgroup) it just comes back. Is there a registry value I need to change?

Tried the reg edit but it simply did not take and just changed back. This really sucks because the one computer is a tablet running windows 8.1 pro upgraded from windows 8 so I can't even reinstall windows because I don't have a regular windows 8 ISO only Pro or 8.1 Pro.

Have you checked your IPv4 properties for your NIC under Advanced - DNS?  There is a box that says "Append DNS suffix..."  does that still contain your old domain info?