RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

to mirror or not to mirror?

capall

Hi all

I have a N40L Microserver with whs2011 in the stock 250G drive. Data is on a single 2Tb red, with 2 more slots available for expansion. Upgrading data drives to 2Tb is also future option.

Current backup plan is;

OS to its own USB drive via server backup

Data drive backed up to 3 places via Cloudberry; 1x USB drive for local backup, 1x USB drive for offsite backup and cloud to Amazon S3.

While I have 2 free lots available I was thinking about mirroring my current data drive for the purpose of minimal downtime should it die.

Is this good practice?

Am I right in that I have 3 options to achieve this?

1. mirror via microserver's hardware RAID 1

2. mirror via whs2011 Disk manager

3. Cloudberry or other sync program nightly (or more frequently)

Any differences / pros-cons to each method

thanks

capall

Hi all

I have a N40L Microserver with whs2011 in the stock 250G drive. Data is on a single 2Tb red, with 2 more slots available for expansion. Upgrading data drives to 2Tb is also future option.

Current backup plan is;

OS to its own USB drive via server backup

Data drive backed up to 3 places via Cloudberry; 1x USB drive for local backup, 1x USB drive for offsite backup and cloud to Amazon S3.

While I have 2 free lots available I was thinking about mirroring my current data drive for the purpose of minimal downtime should it die.

Is this good practice?

Am I right in that I have 3 options to achieve this?

1. mirror via microserver's hardware RAID 1

2. mirror via whs2011 Disk manager

3. Cloudberry or other sync program nightly (or more frequently)

Any differences / pros-cons to each method

thanks

capall

Yes.

For Sure, #2 => Use Disk Management under the storage tab in Server Manager -- A SW mirror (RAID1) via Disk Management will give you more resiliency and versatility IMHO

See:

And this may be useful too:

thanks guys

whats the process then to replacing the main drive that's being mirrored when it dies? Just read the unleashed book but no mention of it there.

thanks

thanks guys

whats the process then to replacing the main drive that's being mirrored when it dies? Just read the unleashed book but no mention of it there.

thanks

There's a procedure outlined in the section "What Happens When a Hard Drive Fails? How do You Recover?" in the article at http://www.buildegg.com/bewp/?p=44

I think it's also discussed/demonstrated in the 1st video above.

ok thanks,

good write up on mirrors

So if I understand correctly, when you data drive dies,

Remove/disconnect the mirrored drive from being a mirror, remove the dead drive, the mirror drive now becomes your data drive. Then  replace the dead drive, and mirror it. The new drive is now the mirror, while the previous "mirror drive" is now the main data drive,  correct?

The mirror is rebuilt when the new drive is introduced.  With high end servers, you can do this on the fly, just remove and replace the drive.

thanks jmwills, but don't quite understand you response.

"The mirror is rebuilt when the new drive is introduced. "..so was I right in my description that the new drive will become the mirror?

(FYI, as I have a microserver and whs2011 I will have to shut it down before installing the new drive, not a big deal)

Yes you are correct.

To achieve this right click on the failed volume and select Remove Mirror. Next, identify a suitable alternate or newly installed drive with sufficient space to act as a mirror. Right click on the existing, healthy volume from the original mirrored set, select Add Mirror from the resulting menu, select the new disk in the Add Mirror dialog and click on Add Mirror.

Windows will now rebuild the mirror using space on the new disk. As noted above, this process can take some time depending on the size of the volume in question.

referenced from

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Creating_and_Managing_Windows_Server_2008_Mirrored_%28RAID_1%29_Volumes