RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is the best method to test a newly purchased hard drive?

Pete

Ok, so I got my N54L configured with 2012r2E on a SSD.  Now I have gotten my 4 WD Red 2TB drives in the mail.

What is the best way to test my new HDs?  Just plug them in and hope that the OS sees them?

Is there a WD tool?

Thanks!

Pete

GRC offer a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with SprinRite.  But if it works, pay the $80.

I echo schoondoggy & jmwills; SpinRite is the best break-in, initial testing tool.

Be aware, it will take a lonnng time to test 4 drives if you can only test 1 drive at a time (basically, it's dependent on how many computers you have available to run SpinRite -- I have a Windows Server 2008 machine with 4 SpinRite VMs set up, so I can test 4 drives at once). A 2 TB drive will take something like 120 hours on Level 4 (which is the level I use when first certifying drives). I keep spare drives on hand so I'm not really concerned with the time lag.

OTOH, if a drive is bad, it likely will not take long to find out. I once had a WD red that almost instantly came up as defective when I tried to SpinRite it. That drive was dead right out of the package, and SpinRite saved me a lot of headaches that I would have run into if I'd tried to use it, particularly the "but it's a brand new drive, it can't be bad" variety.

By now I'm sure you've surmised that I do not trust the manufacturers to deliver fully working products, particularly hard drives. Drives can be damaged at so many points along their way to you that I think it's impossible to trust that they're good to go when you get them.