RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

new motherboard cpu build recommendation needed

robertbailey

I heartily endorse an I3/GA-H55-USB3 build as well. If it turns out to be a disaster, at least we can help each other. :-)

Okay Thanks everyone that was all i needed, just a simple push [from you all ] in the right direction, the only thing that was throwing me wa the power consumption and

the graphics/sound is better suited for HD video and supports HD audio pass through
didn't think i needed this for a server streaming to htpc's.?

Now to find a UK supplier with them on sale :]

Robert

Yeah, the power consumption of that board gave me some initial pause as well, given that I don't actually need all of the features right now. I was able to shave a few watts by disabling some of the ports I'm not currently using, such as 1394a and USB 3.

roobertbailey,
You are right as you do need audio/video capabilities of this setup but they are included and if you ever decide to change out servers and make this an HTPC, you are good to go to play you HD content. One of the few platforms where you can recommend virtually the identical platform and components for either an HTPC, server, or general purpose desktop. Just change the case and instant transformation. Good luck and lets know.