RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

new motherboard cpu build recommendation needed

robertbailey

So after various problems that i was experiencing with my current build i moved over to my spare 775 rig and everything now seems to be okay.

So i need some help on a new board and cpu set up that will be able to stream hd material to 3-4 media centres around the home, and of course plenty of sata points

So what make and model of board would you pick at the moment and also what cpu to go with it ?

Thanks

Robert

My recommendation is using a core I3-530, and a Gigabyte UBB3 board. Has 7 SATA ports, Micro ATX, eSata port, and USB 3. Have put several of these together and they work great. THere is also a couple of PCI express slots that can be used for additional sata controlers. There is also an ATX version that only has a few more slots and an addtional bank for memory if you prefer a larger board. There are a couple of threads on this site that go through a bunch of variations that where started by Jim (moderator/host) if you want to review alternat configurations. What ever you decide, make sure you get a good quality power supply and you are good to go.

Micor ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128429

ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128437

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I would in all probability be going down the Gigabyte route as i have never had a problem with them, replacing a G7-nnxp on the server that finally gave up on me.

As for size i have an Antec p180 that i am using for the server so would continue to use this so the size of the board A
TX \ mATX is not a problem

One other thing i forgot to ask is it worth going for integrated gpu as i would need to buy one anyway ?

Thanks

Robert

Assuming we are talking servers, you really do not use the GPU. The integrated is more than fine if you want to log in locally. See the post above, as it shold point you in the right direction.

I put a new system together over the weekend. I used the GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 motherboard with an i3-540 cpu. The 540 is almost the same as the 530. It's a tiny bit faster and a bit more expensive but otherwise identical.

So far I'm happy with my choices. I hate to say that the system has been off most of the time. I'm too busy right now trying to get my old desk back up and running. My main data drive (250 GB - mainly used for My Documents) seems to have gone bad. I'm now using Partition Magic to export the data from it. Hopefully it's just the partition information that's bad and I'll be able to re-use the disk.

I hope to be posting some information about my new build soon.

Alvin

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

So i have decided on a Gigabyte board with built in gpu and as many sata ports as possible, but i am confused over whether to go Amd or Intel i have been looking at the AMD Athlon II X3 415e 45w and the Intel Core i3 530 73w both roughly the same price in the UK, but can't work out which would be better for what i want [ streaming hd to 3-4 locations ]

Also the server won't be on 24\7 as it will be put into s3 mode when not used as it will primarily be used for the family to access all our media

So please someone force my hand and just link a board and cpu to go for or i could be here forever ?

Thanks

Robert

The architecture is very different and in the real world they will pull about the same amount of power out of the wall. The core I3 is a faster chip and it contains the CPU/GPU/sound/memory controller so the wattage is a bit misleading. Go for the I3 with the H55 board as you will be happier with it in the long run and the graphics/sound is better suited for HD video and supports HD audio pass through for you when you are ready for full blu ray playback.

Guest no-control

Doc has you at the edge I'll go ahead and push ya ;). Go for the i3 I just built 2 i3 setups one as an HTPC and another as a server. It's a very flexible platform. Heat output is extremely low as is power useage. Look in the blog post PCDoc has a nice write about an i3/H55 HTPC and I have one for an i3/H55 Server.

HTPC Build
Server Build

Mobo Link
CPU Link