RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive size for HP MediaSmart/DataVault

AVsonyfan

Hello,

There seems to be quite a few people using SSD drives as their system drives from what I have read, but I have 4 x 2TB drives in my units.

I believe these units shipped with 500GB or 1TB drives and the HP Microservers come with a 250GB drive as standard which got me thinking....   What size would be the recommended size for a system drive and is there a downside to using a 2TB drive as the system drive?

Just curious to hear your opinions on this! :)

If it were me, I would use nothing larger than a 120 gig SSD for the OS.  Obviously it will be faster than a spindle drive, but you really don't want to use that large (2TB) drive for the OS.  It will only tempt you to use the remaining space for backups and the like.

If the OS were to fail, you could simply reload another SSD, attach the data drives and be on your way again.    Others will chime in.

I'm running 4 2TB drives in my MediaSmart. That's the most internal storage you can have without doing some hacking. WHSv1 requires a minimum 160gig OS drive ( I believe). Again, you can do some software hacking and install to a 20 or 30 gig OS drive. Then you could also hack in 3 3TB drives for the Full Monty. But that's the extreme.

I did consider using a SSD drive instead of a 2TB drive. In the end, I went with drive space over increased speed. I do backup my WHSv1 OS using Acronis to a 16gig thumb drive as a backup.

Thanks for the responses.  No real detrimental reasons other than wasting space and perhaps slowing things down with mix of system/data transfers.  Not too bad as already got the drives and not that heavily loaded system by a long way....

I wonder if there is a way to shoehorn in an SSD somewhere as a system drive, leaving the 4 data drives free for their intended purpose?

There seems to ways of doing exactly that with the N40/N54 microservers but I guess the MSS units were physically too small.

I did consider hacking in a msata drive in the space between the plastic top cover and the drive cage. Use a data to esata cable like Joe Miner did and wire the drive to the external esata port. Then power it from the 3 pin fan connector on the from of the motherboard. Problem is to see if you can boot to that drive in the BIOS.

You are so right  I kept reading Microserver in this for some reason.

Well that will be my fault for comparing the two units when the only real similarity is the HP badge on the front! :rolleyes:

I did consider hacking in a msata drive in the space between the plastic top cover and the drive cage. Use a data to esata cable like Joe Miner did and wire the drive to the external esata port. Then power it from the 3 pin fan connector on the from of the motherboard. Problem is to see if you can boot to that drive in the BIOS.

Now that sounds like a hack too far for me and I'd rather just leave the unit as it is, especially after popping off the lid to see how much space there was to play with.... not much at all is the answer.  I think that sort of mod would be best suited to the newer and slightly larger units.