RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best method for attaching ext HDD for server backups?

Jason

I recently noticed in WSE12 R1 my (2) external HDDs used for Server Backup are dropping out of disk management and AC power must be disconnect/reconnect (or server rebooted) for them to be detected.  I changed them from Quick Removal to Better Performance and they remain connected.  However, when I attempt to EJECT either drive using the 'Better Performance' policy, Windows reports that they cannot be ejected because they are in use.

I know Quick Removal is the default policy, but are you all handling removal of server backup drives for offsite storage?  Just using quick removal and unplugging them from the system while server is running?

I'm not sure what I am using (whatever is default). I just eject and pull the drive, then put in the rotating spare drive. No problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah. I just re-read your post. Yes, if you set the drives to Better Performance they will have this issue. I have mine set to Quick Removal. There is a way around it, but I'm not sure you'll like it. You can go into Disk Manager and put the drive(s) Offline. That should make it possible to eject them.

Ok. Thanks. I've gone back to Quick Removal and updated my intel chipset drivers. Since doing so the drives appear to stay connected via USB 3.0 more reliably.

Setting the disk offline in disk management is probably the safest way (aside from "safely remove hardware), as it closes out any access and file locks to the drive.