RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bitdefender issues

You find it that bad?

I'm in my trial period at the moment and looking to decide between Bitdefender and F-Secure as replacements for Avast (which has major Windows 8.1 problems)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tekguru

• jmwills

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shut that stupid thing off and use the Windows Firewall.

There's nothing wrong with using BitDefender with the Windows Firewall. You could try uninstalling BitDefender (so it re-enables the Windows Firewall) and re-installing it, but saying 'No' when it asks if you want to replace Windows Firewall.

• 2 weeks later...

I think F-Secure & Kaspersky are both great products. I only picked BitDefender over them because it's been slightly more consistent over the past 3 years, at least on http://www.av-comparatives.org/. I also liked the Family Pack. For $50/yr, I can protect all the devices in my home.

In the end I put the work in (3/4 of an hour) to completely clean the registry and files left from prior installs and managed to get Avast 9 loaded (licensed to Jan 2015). The reasons were:

Bitdefender - Firewall issues with S2012 Essentials R2 as described previously

F-Secure - Not enough configuration and whist testing I tried to reload the trail but that fails and it asks you to buy.

Kasperskty - I was very tempted to buy even though it was the most expensive product and I decided to run it to the end of the trial period before buying. Good job I did as I found a lot of issues: the PC app only loaded maybe 70% of the time. It affected internet speeds and did not work well with Outlook 2013 slowing it down to where it took 5-6 seconds to reflect moving from one email to another. This was on my fast expensive PC. On my wife's machine is rendered it almost unusable.

So back with Avast 9, not a fan of the new interface, but it works and for no added cost.

Drashna Jaelre

And nobody has mentioned ESET... :(

ESET File Security should work great on 2012R2, and is ~$40/year (it's ~$95 if you buy the 3 year license).

My wife has a notebook this is a bit underpowered with a Core i3. BitDefender slowed it down quite a bit, renabled MSSE and

it's back to normal. BitDefender didn't catch anything new.

ESET I gave up on many years ago. I used to be part of their closed beta test team and a number of scenarios arose where they told lies to their own beta team. That was enough to put me off their products for life!

Drashna Jaelre

Ouch. :(

That's definitely not cool.  But I wonder how much that happens to all the venders...........

My wife has a notebook this is a bit underpowered with a Core i3. BitDefender slowed it down quite a bit, renabled MSSE and

it's back to normal. BitDefender didn't catch anything new.

I'm surprised BitDefender slowed her notebook down so much. BD runs just fine on my Surface Pro; doesn't seem to slow it down noticeably at all.

I picked BD after getting suspicious that MSSE wasn't catching everything. In my case, BD did catch things MSSE missed, a couple of serious ones at that.