RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8, i3

elvisdk

I have not tried an i3 myself, but the beta units that were sent out for test had i3 cpu's in them.

The i3 3220 should work as it is a ECC version. My only concern would be power, at 55w it is a little high.

I think the beta boxes had i3 3220T (35w) in them;

http://blog.themonsta.id.au/some-extra-info-regarding-microserver-beta-units/

http://ark.intel.com/products/65694/

Edited by schoondoggy

What is everyone using their HP Gen 8 servers for?  Am considering picking one up (G1610T, 2 GB RAM) as a home test server to run WS2012R2 as a Hyper-V host.  Of course, I'd be throwing some random unused drives into the system and potentially upgrading the RAM to 16 GB at some point, perhaps a CPU upgrade down the road.

I ask because I have a high powered WSE12 R1 box already that is the heart of my home network.  If it could support Hyper-V, I'd have no reason for another server.  However I have some mission critical apps -- particularly DVRMSToolbox -- that won't run in a VM (they require a physical PC w/ HDD access) as well as some Windows media components that exist in WSE12R1 but not R2 (since the media streaming removed).

Would i be better of with a Xeon 1220L V2 ? In regards to data crunching :)

Or maybe an i7 3770T ?

Jason : I'm using mine for Plex Media Server, FTP and a few other services. Nothing hardcore.

Best regards

Edited by elvisdk

Would i be better of with a Xeon 1220L V2 ? In regards to data crunching :)

Or maybe an i7 3770T ?

Would an i7 in such a small chassis not generate heat and require a cooler that couldn't fit? Which Xenon are people using on the Gen 8?

Would an i7 in such a small chassis not generate heat and require a cooler that couldn't fit? Which Xenon are people using on the Gen 8?

I've put a 45W Xeon 1265LV2 in mine as its near to an i7 performance without going too high a TDP

I've put a 45W Xeon 1265LV2 in mine as its near to an i7 performance without going too high a TDP

I've done this also in two G8's. No issues at all.