RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
brisingr

New Haswell build

brisingr

After 7 years, my mainboard seems to be breaking down... so it's time to upgrade....   Woooo Hoooo :)

I would love any feedback other may have...

I am currently planning to just use the on board video, and may or may not ever install a GPU Card.  Given this stipulation,  Do I need a 550W PSU or does a 450W PSU Leave enough headroom in case I ever want to install a GPU card.  (Any GPU I would buy will be in the $100  - $150 price range)

Thanks in Advance,

Current Build

• Case: Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard
  • PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular
  • RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
  • CPU: Intel Q6600  w/ stock Fan
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
  • SSD : Intel SSD, 520 Series, 180 GB
  • HD:  Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
  • ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
  • ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT LightScribe Support
  • AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe ATSC/NTSC/QAM TV Tuner Card

New Build

Reuse:

• Case: Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • SSD : Intel SSD, 520 Series, 180 GB
  • HD:  Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
  • ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
  • ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT LightScribe Support
  • AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe ATSC/NTSC/QAM TV Tuner Card 

pcdoc

You should be OK with this build.  I have 3 of the 4570s and find them a nice blend of power and efficiency.  I use them with the Asus Z87M-Plus boards  That said, Haswell has not been that good to me.  I would make the following changes, reconsider the stock cooler and make sure others have used the memory.  Kingston has been up and down in quality. Good luck with your build.

brisingr

Thanks for the feedback...

The Kingston memory is on Asus's Qualified Memory List for the H87-PRO

Can you elaborate on the downside of using the stock CPU fan, and the benefits of using a different CPU Cooler?

Do you have a recommendation... or at least what should I be looking for in a CPU Cooler?

ikon

The 2 most common benefits of using aftermarket coolers are quietness and efficiency (cooling power). Good aftermarket coolers will cool the CPU considerably better than stock coolers, and they will do it while generating less noise.

I'm a fan of Arctic Cooling products. You might have a look at the Freezer i30: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/472/freezer-i30.html

jmwills

C or F coolers? ^_^

Guest no-control

Haswell needs faster RAM you need something in the 1866 - 2133 range personally I would use this - F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL 

Go with the faster i5-4570 non S model

This is a better PSU for the money SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 

As for GPU on the low end MSI R7770 is a nice card on the high end the MSI R9 270X