RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual Disk Problem

Octavean

On my Server 2012 Essentials box I have a storage pool of about ~26TB (actual storage) with 11.5TB reported as free.  The pool seems fine, with all HDD's showing no indication of health issues.  I created two simple thin virtual discs one of which I was probably going to delete once I moved the remaining shares from it to the newer virtual disc. 

Shares on the newer virtual disc are Music, Photos and Video.  Shares on the older virtual disc are RecordedTV, Pictures, Downloads, Movies and so on. 

The problem I am having is that the shared folders on the older virtual disk just disappeared.  at first I thought it was the pool as a whole or a HDD in the pool failed but I see no signs of that. The virtual disk still has a drive letter though which is F.  The virtual drive is still reported as using ~13.9TB in Server Manager / storage pools but attempting to view files on it in file explorer results in a prompt to format the drive.

This happened yesterday and I'm starting to go through the logs to try and get an idea of what is going on.  I think I have backups of ~90% of what is or was on the virtual disk in question but I would like to try and recover the share / data on the virtual disk if at all possible.  I'll try and view this as a learning experience since I don't consider myself to be proficient with Server 2012 Essentials. 

There was no redundancy on virtual disk "F" BTW.  Yes I know,......I know,...... which is in part why I planed to move the data to a different virtual disk. 

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to just chime in and say "you should have known better" I'll take that too I guess. 

Trying to keep upbeat here though. 

Thanks in advance!

Octavean. 

Try this to insure the folder all still there.

Open Powershell.  Change the Directory to the Drive Letter of the old Virtual DisK and type:

get-childitem

and compare with

get-childitem -force

The force command should show you if the folders are still there.

Try this to insure the folder all still there.

Open Powershell.  Change the Directory to the Drive Letter of the old Virtual DisK and type:

get-childitem

and compare with

get-childitem -force

The force command should show you if the folders are still there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I opened Powershell and entered the following:

set-location F:

The return was:

set-location : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name 'F' does not exist.

At line:1 char :

+ set-location F:

~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (F:String) [set-Location], DriveNotFoundException
         + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

So I cannot change the directory to the drive letter unless there is something wrong with my method for doing so.  If the syntax is correct then I suspect that isn't a positive sign at all.  

Edited by Octavean

If F is your drive letter then type this when PowerShell opens:

cd F:\ 

and then hit enter then type the above commands.

If F is your drive letter then type this when PowerShell opens:

cd F:\ 

and then hit enter then type the above commands.

Thanks, same result though.

This works fine for the G:\ virtual drive but the F virtual drive spits out the same error as above.  

As I said before, trying to access the G:\ virtual disc in file explorer results in a prompt to format it and a "volume does not contain a recognized file system" error. 

Is F a valid Mount point?

It wont seem to mount in Powershell.

It returns the following error:

cd : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name 'F' does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ cd F:\
+ ~~~~~~

I'm going through the logs now and I have come across this:

Warning
The IO operation at logical block address bcd95 for disc 14 was retried

and a number of others like it.  Not sure what it means,....
Edited by Octavean

Can I assume you're using Storage Spaces? If so, you might want to consider replacing it with one of the drive pooling programs: DriveBender, DrivePool, PoolHD, flexRAID. I'm not certain which of them have versions compatible with 2012 Essentials at this point, although I believe they're all working on it.

DriveBender does, I believe.

I know that DrivePool 2.x is compatible with Windows 8.1/Server 2012R2 already. 
As for the others, I don't know.

And I agree, Storage Spaces is rubbish. You'd be better off with hardware RAID (which I'm not a fan of anyhow).

And I agree, Storage Spaces is rubbish. You'd be better off with hardware RAID (which I'm not a fan of anyhow).

Well, that kind of sums it all up -- Storage Spaces: the lowest of the low :)