RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Found a Bandwidth Bottleneck, Where Are Yours?

IndyLux

I was transferring a giant file from my HTPC to my server and noticed the rate was maxing out at around 10 MB/sec. Both machines have gigabit ethernet which by my calculations (1,000 megabits x .125 = 125 MB/sec) should be 10 times faster!

So, I went hunting for bandwidth bottlenecks. The first culprit is my parent's AT&T wireless router which has four ethernet ports rated at 10/100 mbps. When I move to St. Louis I was going to use my Linksys WRT54GS but I looked up the specs and... 10/100 mbps!!! So, time to order a gigabit switch and open up the pipes.

Let's hear your bandwidth discoveries and help each other max our speeds.

Theory is correct however I have yet to see any non-raid system get anywhere near that. After much tweaking and using green drives at the WHS end, the most I can get is 85. Lately the norm is about 70 on 30-40 gig files. The smaller files seem to move abit faster. I have a similar setup to what you are describing and I moved all the 10/100 off onto a switch. Although I have a gigabit router, I use the switch as it is a bit faster and only have one connection to the router.

http://win7king.com/resources/Home+Network.JPG

I would kill for 25 GB/s. I have all gigabit system with cat 6 wiring and no luck. It appears my drives are the limiting factors.

ImTheTypeOfGuy,
You might also look at your network cards. I have some issues with a couple brands and had to use a plug in when I was trying to optimize. Is it that slow to every computer or just one or two?

Unfortunately I only have two machines with gigabit cards so I can't test with any other machines.

OK, well that narrows down the options. Know anyone with a laptop that has a 1 gig ethernet? Alternativly, you could try to use a plug in network card on each system either one at a time or if you have two cards try both to compare and to see if you can narrow it down. Seems as though you should doing better than what you are. You can also go for the ruling out the cable/router and use a direct patch cord to see if your speed is where it should be.

Ahhh, my work laptop is gigabit. I will do a transfer from the server to it and see what the transfer rate is. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope is works. Try from laptop to whs, laptop to PC to see if there is a week link.

• 4 weeks later...

My main bottleneck is the fact that my media centers have to connect through Homeplug adapters (200Mbps). I'd love to run Cat6 throughout the house, but that's just not an option for me so the Homeplug route seems to be the best I can do right now.

If anyone has guidance on increasing Homeplug throughput, I'd love to hear it!

My main bottleneck is the fact that my media centers have to connect through Homeplug adapters (200Mbps). I'd love to run Cat6 throughout the house, but that's just not an option for me so the Homeplug route seems to be the best I can do right now.

If anyone has guidance on increasing Homeplug throughput, I'd love to hear it!

Check out this post regarding a wireless bridge. This could be a solution for better speeds, http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/170-ex495-networking-troublesissue/page__p__2181__hl__wireless%20bridge__fromsearch__1entry2181