RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Power Pack 3 - Issues with HD Playback on Win7 MC from EX470

steveowens

Hello All -

I am have some studdering playback of recorded HD content when played from my WHS to a Windows 7 Media Center. The content that I am playing back was recorded on a Windows 7 Media Center using a HD Homerun tuned to the QAM signal for NBC HD and CBS HD. The content SD content plays back fine - no issues.

Power Pack 3 was installed on my EX470 this past weekend. I noticed that it was updated when I was prompted from a client to update the WHS Connector software. I installed the updated WHS client and ran the Windows Media Center Connector to add the items to the media center interface. I choose the option to Archive all of my recording to the WHS. I love the idea of having all TV recording in one place and running them from the WHS.

My EX470 is a stock unit with 512 MB RAM and 4x1 TB WD Green hard drives. The client machine that I am using for play back is a HP Slimline PC running Windows 7 Media Center with a AMD X2 processor, 3 GB of RAM and a Nvidia 6150 video card. I have also tried payback from a E6600 Core2Duo box running Windows 7 Media Center with 2 GB RAM and a lower end Nvidia 5200 card. The network is all gigabit cards, switches and gigabit ports on the router.

I wonder if the EX470 is quick enough to server up HD content. Considering a RAM upgrade on the EX470.

Any ideas on where the playback issues might be? Thoughts?

Thanks - Steve
http://oasisavi.com/blog/

• 3 months later...

Hi John -

I took your suggestion and the recorded content I was having trouble with to the local drive. The studdering was due to the recording from the HD Homerun. In the process of testing, I tried some playback of stored Blu-ray ISOs on that same PC and had a lot of studdering as well (unwatchable). The HP Slimline had onboard Nvidia graphics. I replaced it with a new ATI Radeon 5450 low profile card for $50 and HD and Blu-ray playback work great now.

Thanks - Steve
http://oasisavi.com/blog/