RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups keep failing

Loxodrome

Help!
My backups keep failing for one of my computers...
I have an HP MediaSmart 475. I have 5 home computers (desktop (2), laptop, netbook, HTPC) all being backed up to the home server.

Everynight, when one of my desktops starts a backup, it fails...
In the Details section of "Manage Backup", I get the message:
Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):
An Error occurred reading or writing from server stroage. D:\folders\{00008066-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\BLACKBEAR7.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat
ReafFile

Is this a sign of a failing disk?
By the way, I have also had SEVERAL messages about file conflicts, and corrupt folders. However these messages are cleared up with a server re-start and chkdsk.

Thanks in advance
-Loxodrome

Loxodrome

Are you asking if this is the sign of a failing disk in the home server? Probably not if you don't have any problems with the other backups to the server.

Is the name of you problem desktop unique?
Did it ever back up properly to the server?
Have you tried manually initiating a backup?
Does this desktop computer work properly (meaning does it boot ok, no hard drive errors, etc.)
Have you tried removing the computer from the list of computers that you backup and then adding it back again?

My final thought is I had a problem after I did the 3.0 upgrade to my HP MSS EX485. For some reason the backups had become corrupt for a couple of my desktop PCs. I ended up running the database repair. After the repair was complete, I was able to successfully back up all the computers again.

I have had backup issues before, but rebooting the client has always fixed it. Is this problem isolated to one computer? If so, have you rebooted it since the erros begain?

Actually, I have to say the symptoms are suspiciously like those of a failing disk. The backup is failing because of an error with a specific file on the WHS. Add the other symptoms, also on the WHS, and it sounds like a slightly bad disk in the pool. A way to confirm it is check which disk contains copies of all those files with errors. If you can trace them all back to one disk in your pool, that disk is probably near the end and should be removed asap.

If on the other hand there is no relation, the problem is probably elsewhere.

Q: Is the name of you problem desktop unique?
A: Yes

Q: Did it ever back up properly to the server?
A: Yes, it has been backing up nghtly since Nov 2009. Started failing May 4.

Q: Have you tried manually initiating a backup?
A: Yes, those fail too

Q: Does this desktop computer work properly (meaning does it boot ok, no hard drive errors, etc.)
A: Yes. Works fine, boots, records TV, no disk errors

Q: Have you tried removing the computer from the list of computers that you backup and then adding it back again?
A: I tried this last night. And it worked!! The computer backed up with our any errors.

However, I will still watch for a failing disk like roddy mentions.

Thanks everyone!!

I am glad to hear that one of my questions at least helped. I guess I would now keep an eye on the WHS drive and see if you start having more problems.

You do have everything backed up to an external drive, right?

Backups have run sucessfully 3 nights in a row!!

As for backing up to an external Drive...
"You do have everything backed up to an external drive, right?"

I am using my HomeServer as a back up solution for my Computers, and Primary storage for photos (23 GB) and music (51 GB). I also have DA Document Manager installed, and i am transfering importat documents to the HomeServer.
I weekly backup my Music, photos, and docuemnts to an external hard drive, and take it off site (work). I have 2 external drives that I rotate through.
I am not backing up my backups. I feel like that is overkill. If the desktop crashes, I can recover from the server. If the server dies, I still have my desktop computer.
I realize that I am not protected against someting like a house fire where I loose my computer and server at the same time. But if that occurs, at least my Photos, important documents, and music are off site at
work.
I don't want to invest in the sizeable harddrives required to make a complete backup of the homeserver (2.3 TB and growing...)

-Loxodrome