RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgraded Client to Windows 8.1 and now can't reconnect to R2 Essentials server

zeus163

I posted this on the TechNet forum, but thought I'd post this here as well. My Server 2012 Essentials R2 install is very recent (last week) and the 8.1 upgrade happened this morning.

This morning I took the plunge and updated one of my client machines to Windows 8.1. I failed to uninstall the Connector software for Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 before the upgrade, not thinking that any problems would occur. The update appears to have finished just fine, except I can no longer access the dashboard from the client machine that I installed Windows 8.1 on to. It seems the upgrade messed up the connector software, but unfortunately, I cannot uninstall the connector because it is not listed in program files to uninstall. I looked at remove services, but I don't see it there either. When I tried to reinstall the connector software it appears to be working, but then eventually tells me my server is not available. When I log in to the server and access the dashboard my computer is listed as one of the devices. Eventually I removed the device and removed the archived back ups. However, I still can't install the server connector. Same error each time. I think some of the connector software is left behind on my client machine, but I'm not sure where to remove what is left.

Any ideas? 

Edited by zeus163

For some reason I can't figure out how to edit my original post, but I felt I should add that the computer I upgraded had the skip domain join reg key added. I think that may be the problem, but I don't know 100% until I get home at a different machine that I don't have remote access to (never set up).

Edited by zeus163

I got a response from MS and it worked:

The "uninstall" is in windows updates.  Go to history, then installed updates and it will show up in there

I was able to uninstall the connector, but also noticed that I had joined the server's domain which I had originally applied the reg fix not to do. So, I also switched out of that domain and now I'm all back up. I also reapplied the reg don't join fix.

Edited by zeus163

• 2 weeks later...