RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX490 Servers, 4GB ram, low power Quad core (QxxxxS) chips, 4bay USB enclosures - UK

ad-d

Not sure if there is anyone from the UK on this site but I have a couple of HP EX490 Servers that I'm in the process of upgrading from and looking to find a nice new home for them.

I also purchased 3 of the low power quad core 65w TDP Intel CPUs that work well in these servers without getting too hot like the standard 95w quad core chips would, took ages to track these chips down and they were not cheap to buy but they're many many times faster than the rubbish Celeron that HP supplied (in fact they're quite a lot faster than even the new Gen8 G2020T powered microserver).  Would really prefer to sell the quad core chips with a server but would split if I needed to hence separate prices below.

Also have some 4GB DDR2 single sticks which were expensive to buy (brand new and unused) but since I decided to change servers they're no longer needed.

Also have a pair of 4bay USB hard drive enclosures which would expand each EX490 server up to 8 drive bays or use them both with one server for a huge 12 bay storage pool! - I'm pricing these at £55 each.

HP EX490 Server

------------------------

I'm going to price the first HP EX490 server at £215+ postage at cost price, I'm not finished with the second server yet but will list this when I am.  This price comes with an Intel E3200 dual core CPU I have spare which is nearly 2.5x quicker than the Celeron chip from looking at the passmark benchmark scores, I've been running it with a quad core chip though and this can also be purchased.

Quad Core (QxxxxS) CPUs

------------------------------------

In have 3 different models of these special S model CPUs which are listed below, the quicker chips were more expensive and much harder to find in the UK hence more expensive but even the Q8200S is 4.76x faster than the Celeron chip HP originally supplied in the EX490!  In fact compared to the quicker of the two new Gen8 Microservers (the G2020T powered one) the Q8200S is 9% faster, the Q8400S is 24% faster and the Q9400S is 31% faster than this Gen8 microserver, if you have the slower G1610T version the gap is even larger so these EX490 servers still have a lot of life left in them - will run WHS2011 and Server 2012 nicely of course

Intel Core2Quad Q8200S 65w TDP CPU (4.76x faster than HP supplied Celeron) - £49

Intel Core2Quad Q8400S 65w TDP CPU (5.42x faster than HP supplied Celeron) - £77.50

Intel Core2Quad Q9400S 65w TDP CPU (5.72x faster than HP supplied Celeron) - £84.50

Will do a bit of a discount if bought with the server or you want more than one CPU.

4GB ram sticks

---------------------

Can use these to upgrade the 2GB stick that HP supplied the EX490 with, whilst the Server 2003 based WHS v1 was more than happy with 2GB of ram when moving to WHS2011 or especially Server 2012 the server works fine but would definitely prefer more memory - the switch to 4GB stick gets around this issue.

I have 1x brand new unopened 4GB PC6400 (800mhz) DDR2 stick at £65

and also a matched pair of brand new unopened 2x 4GB Crucial PC5300 (667mhz) DDR2 sticks at £130 the pair

Unfortunately DDR2 sticks of this size are awkward to get hold of and very expensive especially in the UK but the investment is well worth it, the single 4GB DDR2 stick above sells for £85 new at the moment and the Crucial 2x4GB DDR2 kit was £160 everywhere when I checked earlier today.

Anyway, feel free to make an offer if anyone in the UK is interested, I'm in Lincoln which is in the middle of the country so not that far from everywhere and could post if needed (CPUs are light so could in theory post abroad but would prefer not to at the moment).

Edited by ad-d

Too bad your are across the pond because I acquired an EX-490 a couple months ago and wouldn't mind the CPU upgrade.  But I see that some are available on ebay so I might go that route.  Good luck selling your stuff.

Too bad your are across the pond because I acquired an EX-490 a couple months ago and wouldn't mind the CPU upgrade.  But I see that some are available on ebay so I might go that route.  Good luck selling your stuff.

Well it doesn't weigh much so I guess I could post if you wanted, would need to look into postage prices though. Let me know if you want to go that route

• 1 month later...

To update this thread the following items have also sold:

the 4GB PC6400 (800mhz) DDR2 stick,

One of my HP EX490 servers (I have one left),

the Q8400S cpu

Would be prepared to split the Crucial 8GB DDR2 kit and sell each 4GB PC5300 (667mhz) DDR2 stick at £67.50.

Could still have a very quick HP EX490 tiny server with 4GB ram upgrade and Q8200S quad core cpu from the parts I have left!!

Edited by ad-d