RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 on RocketRAIS 2720 issues

Captain Reynolds

Hi Folks, I have just downloaded 2012 Essentials R2 and I am having drive issues with a RocketRAID 2720SGL.

I am using 5 of the 8 ports with 2TB drives in RAID 5 for data storage, and two spare seagate 500GB drives lying around. I used the BIOS setup of the 2720 to initialise them and create a RAID 1 Mirror - all good. At the 'Where do you want to install Windows?' stage of the install, I load the latest windows drivers for the 2720 series and it allows Windows to see both the RAID 5 and RAID 1 partition, but when I select the RAID 1 and click Next I get an error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I have AHCI enabled on the motherboard's BIOS... I guess I am either missing something obvious, or the 2720 drivers need to be updated for 2012 R2? 

Do they have Windows 8.1 drivers specifically?

Also, there may be a "Boot ROM" or "Interrupt 9" (maybe 19, I'm not sure), in the BIOS. make sure that's enabled too.

Also, can you create the partitions manually? (hit 'shift+f10' during the setup window and it will bring up a command prompt, at which time you can use diskpart)

Do they have Windows 8.1 drivers specifically?

Also, there may be a "Boot ROM" or "Interrupt 9" (maybe 19, I'm not sure), in the BIOS. make sure that's enabled too.

Also, can you create the partitions manually? (hit 'shift+f10' during the setup window and it will bring up a command prompt, at which time you can use diskpart)

Thanks for your quick reply Drashna...

The Highpoint global site only has a 'Windows' driver that covers Win 7 & 8 (Doesn't list 8.1) and server 2012 (Doesn't list R2)

I'm not sure if you were referring to the Motherboard BIOS or the Highpoint, but I can't find Boot ROM or Interrupt 9/19 on either. The Highpoint BIOS allows you to choose the boot device, which I have already selected as the RAID 1.

In setup, after the Highpoint drivers are loaded, I can use diskpart to access, partition, make active and format the drive, but when I finish I still get the exact same error :(

I have since tried to install Server 2012 and I get the same error... scratching my head!

In the BIOS for the card, there is a "Select Boot Device" option in the Settings menu. Did you set that?

And if you don't have the other boot options, in the boot device list, you may have an "Addon card" option. If so, set that as the primary boot device.

And worst case here, you may want to download the windows drivers, the WIndows ADK, and integrate the driver into the boot and install WIM files, and see if that helps.

Thanks again Drashna... I had the right boot settings in the RAID BIOS and the 2720 was set as first boot device in the MB BIOS.

I was doing some more research before attempting the ADK theory and found this article http://petersitblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/server-2012-install-we-couldnt-create.html

Worked fine for me, installing now!! All I had to do was leave the USB drive with the RAID drivers out of the system until I clicked 'load drivers' then remove it before clicking next...  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, bottom line, go to Load Drivers, plug in USB stick with the drivers, let the installer find and load the drivers, remove the USB driver stick, continue with the install, correct?

• Like 1

That ... or do the "drashna" method, download the WIndows ADK and the drivers, and integrate the drivers directly into the image. :P

That ... or do the "drashna" method, download the WIndows ADK and the drivers, and integrate the drivers directly into the image. :P

Ikon gives the classic F6 finger to Drashna's ADK :D