RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8, AHCI and Serv2012 R2

elvisdk

Hey Guys

Just received a Gen8 G1610T today. Added 16GB memory and an iLO advanced key. Now i just need a better cpu.

First thing was to setup bios to AHCI.

I am not interested in using raid controllers, just the ahci.

But i am not able to find a driver for it ? HP's support page only lists the B120i and not the Intel C204 SATA controller.

Anyone know where to find it ?

I am using Windows Server 2012 R2

Best regards

Not sure if this would work in your case, but did you use Intelligent Provisioning? A number of members have used it and seem pretty pleased with it.

Hey and thanks for the reply.

I found out, that all i needed was the Intel Rapid Storage pre-os driver to get the controller recognized.

The story was :

I mounted the Server2012 iso in iLO virtual cdrom and all sorts of things happened while installing the OS; No drives found, Bad CD-Key etc.

I then tried to transfer the iso to a usb stick with the Technet transfer Tool, but it reported the iso was corrupted.

Redownloaded it, transfered it to a usb stick, and now (without drivers) it was able to detect the controller, drives and accepted the cd-key.

I've never experienced this before.

Hopefully the iLO doesnt corrupt the ISO's

Best regards

I had this issue with OmniOS, too, and I switched to creating bootable USB sticks for base installation. Granted, I am using wifi to manage the server, thus there could be bad connections (to which my wifi tends to) causing these problems. 

Unfortunately not. Neither USB nor microSD can be used as a datastore. 

Edit: After being at the vmworld the last couple of days, I automatically assumed that you meant a vmware datastore, and for this assumption, my answer is true. If we are talking about Windows Server 2012 R2, and you want to know if windows sees the USB/microSD as a drive within the OS... I didn't test it, but I could this afternoon.

(Right now, everyone else is still asleep and later on, we are training our dog, after that I could try that).

Disclaimer: If my text doesn't make any sense: I just got up. ;-)

Edited by microsvr.de

Maybe i should have been more specific :)

I ment a datastore for the iLO virtual media.

Best regards

Ah okay. Again, at least not to my knowledge. If I remember correctly, you can only specificy a URL (which can be http or https) which points to an ISO image in combination with the "virtual media" from the iLO webpage.

What I did is pretty cumbersome (but alas, I am testing different OS right now, if you decide which you use, this is a one-time process) by creating bootable USB sticks on my laptop and to boot the server from this USB stick.