RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

vail shows empty share folders

jmarti31

Hi new to the forums but have been listeming to the podcast since episode 1

I just installed vail and transferred all my shares from my previous home server install. On the home server computer it shows all the files on the shares such as pictures and music.

When i try to open the shares from other pc's or my media center pc it shows as the folders being empty. not sure why this is happening please help. Thanks

I ran into something that might be what your writing about. I noticed that if I wanted to put files in a shares, there was a folder in the share by the same name and I han to put the files in the folder.

For instance during RDC, if I wanted to put movies in the Videos Share, there was folder called Videos in the Share and I had to put the files in the Videos folder in the Videos share.

Let me know if that doesn't make sence.

Thanks John, by the way i hear you on the podcast every week keep up the great work

As for my problem i dont think it is the folder structure since it only is happening in the music and picture shares not in the video share. As stated above i can see all my picures at the home server but not on any other computer.

May be this is a bug in Vali

@jmarti31: How did you copy the files on to the server? Did you copy from inside the Vail server or from another machine through the network shares?

On show 90, Dave (reluctantly) spoke about his new iPad and how he uses RDP to his W7 machine.... interesting...
1)can you use just your hands to move icon and navigate through your w7 machine remotely? Assuming "yes", how easy/cumbersome is it?
2)Have you tried Big Screen Remote EPG on it for scheduling WMC TV recordings?

Edit: Apologies----I posted this in the wrong place...It should've been under the Podcast 90 topic.

HI Roddy

What i did is removed the drive before installing vail. After the intall i reconnected the drive and moved all the data to the shares. then i formated and added the drive to the share.