RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Questions concerning my first ever server purchase (N54)

hspolander

Hello, and thanks for taking time to read this.

I recently decided that the time has finally come for me to purchase a server. I have been looking at alot of different ones, but due to a recent sale where the N54 is going for 1400 SEK(roughly 160 €) I got the feeling that this is the one for me.

Listened to the n54 dedicated episode of HSS and did a lot of research. Since I am very new to servers I plan on installing a userfriendly OS, and probably just purchase one 8 gb memory stick. Before I make my purchase I would like to ask some questions regarding how much this server is cabable of. Apologies if my questions are dumb, but as I said I am quite new to this world.

I am a Java developer and I plan to run some very lightweight applications on the server. I intend to use JBoss Applicationserver or perhaps Glassfish. both of these are supposed to be very light and I even heard of people installing them in on a Raspberry pi. Has anyone of you tried running an applicationserver on the N54? Do you think it will work?

I might run a Teamspeak server on it for some friends I sometimes play games with. Has anyone tried it?

I also plan to use it to stream music to my logitech squeezebox. Is this possible? Is anyone doing it?

I plan to add 2x3TB WD red drives, 1x8 KINGSTON 8GB 1333MHZ DDR3 ECC CL9 DIMM W/TS(KVR1333D3E9S/8G). I think I read every memorythread there is to find, but this one gave me the most info Google spreadsheet. If there is anything not compatable abotu this setup, feel free to shout at me

Like I said I plan on using windows. This is only because I have gotten the impression that this is the easiest to start off with. If you have any recommendations to what I could use instead(and why) or any source of information that would make it easier for me to make up my mind about this, be kind to let me know.

How much power does the server consume? I live in Sweden and prices on electricity are quite insane(especially during the winter). From what I managed to find(I<3Google) I have heard around 35W. Is this correct? Will it consume less power during periods of time or is it always consuming about the same? Is there any good software that could let me measue and controll power consumtion?

Like I said these might be the silliest questions you've ever heard, but I hope to one day be educated enough to answer silly questions like these when asked by new serverfreaks. Thereby I will repay my knowledge dept ;)

Thanks again for  your time!

Edited by hspolander

I can't speak for the Java stuff, but the RasbPi may not be the way to go... I've heard mixed things about it's capability. It's a great little box, but very limited.

As for teamspeak, yes, that should run fine on the server. I remember setting that up on mine a LONG time ago and it working great.

For streaming music, I do believe the squeezebox will run on WHS2011 and other server OS's.  If not, then Serviio may work. (java based too :P )

As for what OS to run, it depends on what you need/want. Personally, I'd recommend WHS2011. It's a Server OS, it's Windows, it has a built in website (with RDGateway if you set up the anywhere/remote access), does client backups, and monitors client computer health.  It supports up to 8GBs of RAM and from what I understand (I don't own one of these units) runs WHS2011 very nicely. Oh, and creating and managing permissions for users is dead simple (via the dashboard).  So it's a good solution. And for ~$40USD. 

Again, I can't comment on actual power usage... but these are definitely low power consumption devices. 

And no, these are DEFINITELY not silly questions. They good questions to ask. Beginner or otherwise. (especially that power consumption on, considering where you live)

Thanks for answering Drashna.

Sounds like I'll be considering getting the WHS2011 then. I keep hearing good thing about it.

Could my choice of OS have any bigger impact on power consumtion? I keep hearing that ubuntu(both server and desktop) is one of the least "demanding" systems. However I am not sure if that means demanding for the processor, for the PSU or for both...

I have also heard about quite alot of people running windows 7 on the machine. With windows 7 I know that I could fill all my needs with an application server, teamspeak and squeezebox as long as the N54l can handle it. Though i do get the feeling that Win7 might be taking some unnecessary computing power with processes I might not be in need of...

For every answer I come up with three more questions ;)

Here's a couple of suggestions based on my experience with an n36l. If you require a full desktop gui Ubuntu LTS. Besides being free, it is a great platform for LMS (Squeezebox server). 13.10 is due this week but personally on a server I would stick to the LTS releases. If you don't want a full desktop have a look at Vortexbox which is a headless Fedora based media server. All the LMS tools are preconfigured ootb, as well as a webadmin where you can monitor and configure server utils and install/remove add ins like plex media server, dnla, makemkv etc. It is an awesome media server, but since it is a Fedora OS you can install other Fedora software as needed. .

Thanks for answering Drashna.Sounds like I'll be considering getting the WHS2011 then. I keep hearing good thing about it.Could my choice of OS have any bigger impact on power consumtion? I keep hearing that ubuntu(both server and desktop) is one of the least "demanding" systems. However I am not sure if that means demanding for the processor, for the PSU or for both...I have also heard about quite alot of people running windows 7 on the machine. With windows 7 I know that I could fill all my needs with an application server, teamspeak and squeezebox as long as the N54l can handle it. Though i do get the feeling that Win7 might be taking some unnecessary computing power with processes I might not be in need of...For every answer I come up with three more questions ;)
Edited by johnas