3. 3. CPU

• Built-in
    • Intel i7-4770S
    • Intel i5-4670S
    • Intel i5-4670R
    • Intel i5-4570T
    • Intel i3-4330T

Joe_Miner

$200 for a Haswell board w/6 SATAIII (4 avail on a 8087 port on the board, 1 eSATAIII, and 1 SATAIII on the board) plus the above  -- this would be a fantastic upgrade to all of N36L's, N40L's & N54L's.

ikon

There would have to be one heck of a lot of buyers. Designing a new mobo is no small task. It would certainly take many hundreds of thousands of $, if not more. I suspect the only viable way would be to contract someone like Gigabyte, Asus, or AsRock and see if they would entertain the idea of a custom design.

schoondoggy

There would have to be one heck of a lot of buyers. Designing a new mobo is no small task. It would certainly take many hundreds of thousands of $, if not more. I suspect the only viable way would be to contract someone like Gigabyte, Asus, or AsRock and see if they would entertain the idea of a custom design.

Generally, its tens of thousands depending on the design and ongoing support. Most traditional motherboard vendors don't do customs, but there are several manufacturers that specialize in it. 

Edited by schoondoggy

ikon

That includes the design and troubleshooting? Most circuit boards go through many interations of troubleshooting & tweaking to work out the bugs; things as seemingly simple as separating 2 circuit traces from each other because they're cross-talking and causing random lockups. Just tracking down issues like that can be hugely frustrating.

Put it this way: I'd be seriously impressed if they can design a stable, reliable board for only a few tens of thousands.

schoondoggy

They are not starting from scratch, CPU and chipset vendors have reference designs ready to go. 

The more standard the board is the better.

The issue is ongoing support and BIOS updates.

Edited by schoondoggy

Joe_Miner

The only issue I see is getting licensing from HP to use their form factor (I suspect the have patents on it out of the yingyang :) ) -- $200 for an upgrade board would be very popular IMHO but HP would be "afraid" it could draw market share from their current and future lines.

ikon

I don't think form factor would be a real issue. All that would have to happen is to change the size marginally and it would be considered a new design, particularly since it would have connectors and components on it that the HP boards do not.

fonix232

That type of cutting creates a lot of metal dust. 

I was thinking about this from a different angle, what is someone made a motherboard that was physically identical to the Microserver, but had new features? No cutting required.

Socketed CPU

32GB memory

Four SATA III ports on a SFF-8087 port on the board

USB3 

x16 PCIe slot

x4 PCIe slot

Use KickStarter to fund. How much would people pay for a new board?

Not enough. The MicroServer already costs 4-600$ (the N54L is a bit cheaper though), such a board would require design, manufacturing, boxing, shipping, etc., and would not be worth of the cost.

Besides I want to have some new features, such as, a second NIC onboard (and to begin with, a better NIC for the first one). As I cannot really have a "router" in my home, I was thinking about getting a board with dual NIC, and WiFi (either built-in or mPCIe), and it could  act as a gateway, switch, firewall, wireless AP, etc.

For that, the backplate definitely needs modification. But I'd actually prefer to cut a slot that can hold the generic sized motherboard backplates, and we're done.

Metal dust wouldn't be a problem. On the inside, tape a plastic bag around the hole you're going to cut, plus cover everything else in saran wrap. Outside, same, saran wrapping everywhere except the hole. Also I believe there are dremel cutters that have equipped vacuum tubes to clean up immediately. Also a magnet can help ;)

ikon

The easiest way to deal with metal dust is to completely disassemble the box, take it down to bare metal, then do the mods. After that, blow out the box (or vacuum if no compressor handy) and finally wash in soapy water, rinse, and dry.

schoondoggy

Not enough. The MicroServer already costs 4-600$ (the N54L is a bit cheaper though), such a board would require design, manufacturing, boxing, shipping, etc., and would not be worth of the cost.

Besides I want to have some new features, such as, a second NIC onboard (and to begin with, a better NIC for the first one). As I cannot really have a "router" in my home, I was thinking about getting a board with dual NIC, and WiFi (either built-in or mPCIe), and it could  act as a gateway, switch, firewall, wireless AP, etc.

For that, the backplate definitely needs modification. But I'd actually prefer to cut a slot that can hold the generic sized motherboard backplates, and we're done.

Metal dust wouldn't be a problem. On the inside, tape a plastic bag around the hole you're going to cut, plus cover everything else in saran wrap. Outside, same, saran wrapping everywhere except the hole. Also I believe there are dremel cutters that have equipped vacuum tubes to clean up immediately. Also a magnet can help ;)

This would be after you remove all of the electronic components from the case, MB, PS, backplane, usb ports, fans,