RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update Rollup 3 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials?

tekguru

This blog entry references 'Update Rollup 3 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials Available Now', but I'm totally unable to get Windows Update to acknowledge such an update exists, never mind install it.

Am I missing something?

Not sure, but there are some interesting caveats on some of the update items, like having to uninstall and reconnect Client Computers to the server. I think it would behoove everyone to read the notes on this update carefully before applying it.

If you might have installed a preview of the UR3 then you would have to uninstall it. Also are you running 2012 Essentials or 2012 R2 Essentials ? This is for the non R2 edition.

Ah ha - right I am running R2 so I guess will have to wait for another update for this edition.

Glad you spotted it as I've been trying to work out why I was not seeing it :)

Good to hear.

I wonder how close Microsoft will bring 2012E to R2E because from what I read, you can't do an upgrade to R2E. You need to do a clean install. That will discourage many folks from moving over if they have implemented 2012E. Yet I still read about stuff being broken in R2E.

My WSE12 installed UR3 and each client automatically upgraded each connector after. Didn't appear to require an uninstall and reinstall. Treated like any other Update Rollup.

It's pretty close. But it's been a long standing tradition for SBS servers to not have a direct upgrade path. You must migrate to the new OS version, and then decomission the old one. From a business standpoint, this is a very good thing. It means that you won't have any downtime (theoretically), and if something does happen, it takes a minute or two to boot up the old system, and not an hour to roll back the changes.... And hope it works.

But there also has been a lot of "essentials experience" code that has been changed too.