RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
thevolt5

ASUS RT-AC66U File Transfer Slow Speed Issue 11-15MB :(

thevolt5

Hi everyone after recently upgrading to the new ASUS RT-AC66U router running latest Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_726 and configuring it into my network server ive been having issues with large file transfer speeds between my laptop ASUS N56VZ and server im using the TP Link TL-PA511 500 Mbps Gigabit Single Powerline Adapter.

ive ran all test and all hard wired via RJ45 CAT6e ive tryed connected direct to server via RJ45 cable only! and bypassing the router and powerline and confirm im ACHIEVING 100MB gigabit speed but when I add the router and powerline into the network it drops to 11-15mb file transfer speed  :(

I can confirm powerline setup was working at gigabit speeds on previous routers so im certain its the ASUS RT-AC66U and the firmware or some setting im missing  :(

Im confident its the router thats drooping the speed ive reset to default settings and no improvement ,is there anything I need to change in the configuration checks or setting on router?

nasxfer.png

My spec machines -

SERVER MACHINE

Hard Drives SATA II : X6 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz LGA1155 3MB / BX80623I32100
Motherboards: Asus P8H67-M LE REV 3.0 / P8H67-M LE REV 3.0
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX DDR3 1333MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 Blu / KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

HTPC

ASUS N56VZ-S4207H Specifications

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Quad Core (2.4 GHz, Intel Ivy Bridge Architecture, 6 MB L3 cache, Features Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz)

Hard Drive: OCZ 400GB Agility 3 SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s

Screen 15.6" (ASUS, 1920x1080 Full HD Resolution) Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit RAM 16GB (DDR3 2000MHZ)

Edited by thevolt5

schoondoggy

Unfortunately that is about as fast a transfer rate you will see from a EOP device;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/bar/89-up

This review got about the same numbers you are seeing, 139.8Mb/s=17.5MB/s

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/powerline-networking/1293418/tp-link-tl-pa511-av500-gigabit-powerline-adaptor-starter-kit

Instead of bypassing both the router and the EOP, just bypass the EOP and see what you get.

Edited by schoondoggy

thevolt5

That is disappointing ive just bypassed both the router and the EOP (TP Link TL-PA511) and direct wireded it cable to server and achieved the full gigabit 100mb

What options do I have I thought the TP Link TL-PA511 would have achieved the gigabit speeds? Just as server is in a separate room in home :(

Server placed upstairs in house and my HTPC is in the downstairs front room. thanks

ikon

You're getting gigabit speed using Ethernet over Powerline? Really??? If you are, you're the 1st I've ever heard of. In all the tests I've run on it, I've only gotten a fraction of that speed. I have a couple of EoP boxes sitting in a junk box you can have.

thevolt5

No im not achieving gigabit over powerline that's my issue :( when im transferring files from my Laptop to Server hard wired over Powerline im only getting a transfer speed of 12MB see above which is around same speed I get over wireless with the ASUS RT-AC66U which I dont understand?

Im looking for a method to reach the gigabit 100MB speed if possible ? Or is there a better option?

Edited by thevolt5

ikon

OK, that explanation is clearer; I wasn't getting that from your OP.

Gigabit speeds over powerline? I don't think it's possible with current tech. Like I said, you would be the 1st I've heard of.

What's the best option? Hardwired Ethernet to a dedicated switch (i.e. do NOT use your router as your Ethernet switch). To help ensure best performance, for home users I recommend using a single, centralized Ethernet switch and running dedicated CAT5e lines to each device. In many households this means a 16 or 24 port switch. The switch should be at the center of the LAN -- everything should plug into it. I would make sure to get a good Ethernet switch. Netgear, D-Link, & Cisco/Linksys all make good switches -- there are others but I'm not as familiar with them.

thevolt5

I have a switch but not got round to configuring it into the network as had no need for now.

I still cant work out how im going to resolve issue transferring large files from laptop to the server other then wireless speed that's very slow :( or powerline as mentioned above server is based in another room unfortunately so not so straight forward and near impossible to run cable without being very untidy mess or without professional help ,therefore reason ive had to go down the powerline route but very disappointed with the speeds ive been achieving :( at just 12MB transfer speed over network via powerline hope that gives you a better idea ,think my main concern is am I achieving the correct speed over powerline?

jmwills

I would second bypassing the switch on the router as well as using something like TeraCopy to copy files rather than Explorer.

schoondoggy

The wireless on the router is capable of AC speeds. USB WiFi AC adapters are a little pricey, but that may be your fastest route if you need to stay wireless.

ikon

And if you decide to take the plunge and do some wiring, there are a ton of tutorials and other info on how to do it.