RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

help I disabled my NIC and can't get back in

Pete

Yes. Face palm to the forehead!

I remote desktop into my v1 WHS to change my static IP settings and my accident I clicked on "disable". Now I can't get back in. Is my only option to shut down, pull out all my drives and then reinstall OS, then put back in my data drives? Will I lose my data?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

• FiLiNuX

• Pete

I wonder if there is a such a thing as a USB to VGA adapter?  If not, I'd get a USB NIC adapter before reinstalling everything

Maybe someone can step through a list using just a keyboard so you can get it back enabled.  Attach USB keyboard, login, etc, etc.  Pure keyboard list.

I think it might be easier to do it via  command prompt as a command prompt would be easier to get to instead of navigating to the control panel:

netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=enabled

I second the usb Nic idea, gotta frys nearby ?

Nice thread. A little hard to know which method to use. I think a bit from that thread (i.e. get to a CMD prompt), plus jmwills command might be the simplist method of all.

We'll tried the blind attempt at the command prompt idea. Nothing happened that I'm aware of. Lights didn't turn back on at the NIC connector. Wasn't sure about which USB to VGA adapter to get considering driver compatibility. Same with getting a USB to Ethernet adapter, but that was cheaper route, so I'll try that tomorrow when it arrives. The description on newegg was XP, Vista and Win7 (x32 and x64) compatible, but that doesn't mean it needs a driver.

Also tried taking out the OS drive and using my USB to SATA adapter and trying to boot off that drive (using my other PC's). I can see the windows server boot screen then BSOD and immediately reboots. Tried this on a x64 and x32 system. Both failed.

My server is backed up (about a month old). So it won't be too big issue to rebuild. But I also just ordered a new N54L system that I want to install WHS2011. How do I go about migrating my data to 2011 after I resolve my current issue?

Thanks guys

Pete