RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server now refuses to back up any client machine.

Lethbridge

Hi All,

I have had Windows Server 2012 Essentials running without any problems for a while now, but recently I noticed that it had stopped backing up my client pc.  When I look at the backup history, it worked fine until Sept 28, then had an incomplete backup and then 3 unsuccessful backups, then fine for 2 days, and now it hasn't had a successful backup since Oct 3.  I have tried doing several Manual backups and they all fail. I tried doing a Manual backup on my Surface Pro (which is not configured for automatic backups), and it failed as well.

I have no idea what is causing this, the error just states: "An unknown error prevented backup from completing successfully." I know that the connector software was updated recently, but if I recall correctly, that was only 2 or 3 days ago, and the backups have been failing since before. I have a separate physical drive setup just for client computer backups, and that still has 487.6 GB free, and I have run the disk checker on that drive and no problems found.

I should also add that doing a backup of the server itself works fine.  For some reason about a week ago, I also got a message stating that Windows was no longer activated and I had to re-enter my serial key and it is activated now (not sure if that is related, just thought I would add that).

I'm kind of at a loss right now of what might have caused this.  If I need to I will try and restore the server to a date when the backups were still working, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

Any suggestions or ideas?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• Lethbridge

I would check the client backup disk for errors.  It sounds like the drive may be failing or have some bad sectors.

I've tried using the disk checker through the server dashboard and no errors were found.  I just tried another backup and it failed again, all of the backups fail at 26%.

I've tried that and no errors were found.  I think my next step is to restore the server to an earlier date and see if I can do a backup then.

Tried one more backup, these are the warnings and errors:

Warning:   6:50:34pm  When asking for client authentication, this server sends a list of trusted certificate authorities to the client. The client uses this list to choose a client certificate that is trusted by the server. Currently, this server trusts so many certificate authorities that the list has grown too long. This list has thus been truncated. The administrator of this machine should review the certificate authorities trusted for client authentication and remove those that do not really need to be trusted.

Error:   6:50:47pm  The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Looks like this might be something.

I had a very similar problem with my first 2012SE install. No probs then all of a sudden client backups failing both auto and manual. Looked for answers for 2 weeks and gave up. New install running fine for 5 months now (Touch wood).