RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Rukah

A few questions about RAID...

Rukah

Alot of people seem to have the HP P410 Smart Array Hardware Raid controller (for RAID5). However, when I research them, they come in 512mb or 1gb with either battery or flash memory backup - Which one is better and why?

Also...I plan to run esxi with 4x drives in RAID5 (off the HW card) and then a 2 drive RAID1 mirror for the OS - Where do I connect/setup the RAID1 array? On-board the microserver motherboard? or on the HP HW RAID card?

How do I know when one of the drives in the raid has failed? (I have always used SW raid) - Is there monitoring tools avalible?

Finally - Can anyone confirm if USB devices are working on ESXi 5.0 onwards? I plan to run ESXi and want to occasionally pass a USB2.0 HDD to my windows VM so I can rsync the data. Will this be possible and will the speeds be any slower?

schoondoggy

Alot of people seem to have the HP P410 Smart Array Hardware Raid controller (for RAID5). However, when I research them, they come in 512mb or 1gb with either battery or flash memory backup - Which one is better and why?

Also...I plan to run esxi with 4x drives in RAID5 (off the HW card) and then a 2 drive RAID1 mirror for the OS - Where do I connect/setup the RAID1 array? On-board the microserver motherboard? or on the HP HW RAID card?

How do I know when one of the drives in the raid has failed? (I have always used SW raid) - Is there monitoring tools avalible?

Finally - Can anyone confirm if USB devices are working on ESXi 5.0 onwards? I plan to run ESXi and want to occasionally pass a USB2.0 HDD to my windows VM so I can rsync the data. Will this be possible and will the speeds be any slower?

More cache, faster reads and writes. On HP controllers BB vs FB is old vs new. The P410 was manufactured at a time when they were transitioning to flash. The new controllers P420 and P430 only come with FB. Theoretically, on a P410 FB would be 'better', but much more expensive. As long as you have a good battery connected to the P410 BB and a UPS, you will have no issue with a P410 and a BB module.

What model MicroServer are you going to use? The P410 will run 8 drives, so you could run everything off it. On the Gen 8 you can run the P410 and the B120i that is onboard. If I remember correctly, on the older MicroServer, the motherboard RAID goes away when a add in RAID card is present.

There are many ways to monitor this from Windows, but I am not sure about ESXi. I 'assume' you could monitor it from a guest OS windows server, but I have not tried that. I have not spent much time on ESXi. Hopefully others will chime in on ESXi.

303-Acid

There are many ways to monitor this from Windows, but I am not sure about ESXi. I 'assume' you could monitor it from a guest OS windows server, but I have not tried that. I have not spent much time on ESXi. Hopefully others will chime in on ESXi.

You can monitor the RAID card and disks in ESX if the Agentless Management Service Offline Bundle. You then get an expandable "Storage" item in the Health Status section of the vSphere client. You will need 3rd party monitoring or a script if you want to be alerted to disc failures.

Download from here: http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/

You want the hp-ams......zip for the version of ESXi you are using.

Transfer to /tmp with WinSCP or similar then install with the following command via SSH or locally:

esxcli software vib install -d "/tmp/PatchName.zip

Where PatchName.zip is the name of the patch file you uploaded to the datastore.