RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tekguru

Server 2012 R2 Essentials - stopping DNS affecting the clients

tekguru

The DNS on the server is affecting the clients forcing them to go through the server (which does not always work).

Is it safe to fix it by removing the DNS role on the server?

adster01

Simple fix is to disable the Windows server LAN configuration service on all client computers.

tekguru

Yep I know that one. But for some reason that service is not even present - and I've looked twice so far (each time after rebooting)! Weirdness.

For the moment I'd set the DNS forwarders on the server to Google and that seems to be working so far for resolution.

tekguru

That does look useful, I'll read through in depth over the weekend!

jmwills

I think if someone does a tracert to a site via both methods, they will see what Philip is talking about.

tinkererguy

Yep I know that one. But for some reason that service is not even present - and I've looked twice so far (each time after rebooting)! Weirdness.

For the moment I'd set the DNS forwarders on the server to Google and that seems to be working so far for resolution.

That is one method that folks have reported seems to work nicely.

I've figured out an alternative method tonight, where DNS can be left as DHCP fed, avoiding the nuisance of any manual DNS tweaking of all your NICs (VMware, Hamachi, VPNs, etc), detailed here:

TinkerTry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server

aka, Connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials without affecting your DNS, staying in workgroup mode

tekguru

Yes! Completely awesome Paul, now in place and hopefully life will remain a lot easier now! My thanks!

tinkererguy

Time will tell!  But yeah, tweaking the registry seems more likely to "stick" through the expected Update Rollups, at least more likely than my (more-hack-like) tweak of the past, the stopping of that "Windows Server LAN Configuration" that had to be redone after each Update Rollup, also requiring DNS get manually cleaned up too (I have 14 machines, each with between 2 to 7 NICs to clean.  Argh!).

See also new thread I just started in the R2 area:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6712-connect-to-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-without-affecting-your-dns-staying-in-workgroup-mode/#entry73414