RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NIC not showing

xibinin

Hi,

Had my N54L for a month or so and absolutely loving it, will be even better when I get the cheque for £100 :D

Installed 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, Noiseblocker 120mm fan, TP Link 150Mbps WiFi card and a 6450 LP GFX card. This is all running under Windows 8 x64.

Tried setting up my home network yesterday and wanted to plug the router (TP Link WDR 3600) into the N54L through an ethernet cable. Only problem is the onboard NIC is not showing in Device Manager nor Network Sharing Centre. I have tried disabling the WiFi card but it simply does not show.

I tried searching for drivers but could only come across WHS drivers and in other instances, people just used the driver Windows assigned. I must be missing something but cannot think what it is, any ideas? 

You are correct, it was disabled in the BIOS. However I have discovered an even worse problem. When I enable the NIC the machine acts very weird. It starts off with not been able to get passed the Windows 8 loading screen and if eventually you do get into Windows, the mouse and keyboard don't work (when plugged in to either front or back USB ports). Defective NIC causing problems with the mobo/USB ports?

You might want to try booting into safe mode on Win 8 (without & then with networking) to see if it behaves differently to help narrow down the issue before physically removing hardware.  

This sounds like a conflict or funky driver, but most likely a conflict. As schoondoggy said, remove extra cards. I would go even further and recommend stripping the system down to the bare minimum: one stick of RAM, no extra add-in cards (on-board video if you're using an add-in video card), no external devices except keyboard and mouse.