RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 R2 Essentials - skip domain join

tekguru

Previously I'd used:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

To skip joining a PC to the domain when adding the connector, but last night after checking this was still in place, and adding my PC I've noticed things like lock screen activation are in place and the networking connection is referencing the local domain.

Any ideas what has changed and how to avoid it? Not a problem on my PC but I'll get complaints from the other half if those restrictions go in place on my wife's laptop!

Go to the System Applet in control Panel and see whether or not the client is joined.  It will say in there whether it is a WorkGroup or Domain Computer.  Has this client been joined to the domain  previously?

It shows that it has been joined to the '<domain>.local' domain. Under the old Essentials system the machine did work with the connector and the registry edit above did stop it joining the domain.

So to fix it is it as easy as removing the domain and going back to using WORKGROUP as the domain?

That would be the first step but I do know that Registry entry does work.,  Do you verify the Registry entry is there?

It was in there (I did check) but it appears not now.

Weird. If I remove the machine from the domain will the connector / backup still work?

skip_domain.jpg

Wifes laptop linked to the machine without the domain being added. On my machine I removed it from the domain, all sweet once more!