RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rex53

DrivePop Results?

Technogod

I rebooted my computer and speed looks a lot better. It's 3x faster. Now instead of 300KB/s it's 1MB/s. Measured in bytes not bits. I had never rebooted the computer after installing the software.

ikon

Nothing like a reboot to give you that fresh, minty fresh feeling :)

• Like 1

Edward

My understanding is that Drivepop backbones with livedrive. Basically drivepop is a livedrive reseller.

Anyone here done a full backup and a full restore?

I did a lot of testing using livedrive, twice, once about 4 years ago and then again last year sometime. My experience was that the client side utility says 'all backed up' (or words to that effect), but a restore showed this not to be true. Livedrive support was, um, unsupportive.

I use Crashplan - 823gb and counting. Restores work just great. Only missing 'nice to have feature' would be streaming media files over HTTP.

Edward

Jason

This is especially concerning. I purchased a DrivePop lifetime subscription and backup to the service daily. However I've not yet attempted to do a full restore from it. I have on the other hand restored from Crashplan and it's not only reliable but super fast. I didn't spend much on DP (Livedrive) so I suppose I got what I paid for.

Haven't started backing up movies to CP but I suppose I will now though it may take a few weeks.

timekills

This is especially concerning. I purchased a DrivePop lifetime subscription and backup to the service daily. However I've not yet attempted to do a full restore from it. I have on the other hand restored from Crashplan and it's not only reliable but super fast. I didn't spend much on DP (Livedrive) so I suppose I got what I paid for.

Haven't started backing up movies to CP but I suppose I will now though it may take a few weeks.

What do you find concerning? The only "concern" I saw was limited upload speed for some users. I get ~1 to ~1.5 Mbps which is right at my ISP's upload cap. I've had no problems with restore or restore speeds. As I mentioned. I can even stream MP4s from the site, some of which have 5+ Mbps streams.

It's not a bare metal restore service.It's a file restore service. And for that I find it works very very well. Not even considering the price I paid for unlimited systems lifetime use, which still seems too good to be true but so far with four systems, one of which has > 2.5 TB and the others with ~400 GB each it is true.

Jason

Others reported DrivePop will mention that selected files are fully backed up when they aren't. I'm checking for this. Haven't experienced that with CrashPlan.

timekills

There is a delay I've witnessed if I've had to restart the program/service on my server where it will show nothing for backup, including some changed or not yet uploaded files. Eventually it goes through the scan and I've yet to have that issue happen where it didn't eventually correct itself. I could see where that could be a problem if the server crashed prior to its ability to recalculate the changes.

I do think they could improve their file comparison algorithms, in that if I rebuild my server and add the DrivePop/LiveDrive software back on, even if the 2+TB of files have not changed, it sees it as a new computer and will begin the long process of backing all the files up again. You'd think for space saving they'd at least do a duplication check across one user's files. Not sure about the privacy of doing a duplication check across files for ALL users, which would speed the upload process greatly for common files as well as save a lot of space on their end, but at least check my files against my files I've already uploaded for time similarity and a simple CRC.

Edit: wow typos.

Edited by timekills

Jason

I agree. I've seen that same issue with DrivePop. You cannot "adopt" an existing backup from a prior machine like you can with CrashPlan. They need to add that. If I had bandwidth caps I'd be beyond annoyed.

ikon

I Know you're well aware, but just for others who might not be, it's vital to do a full restore test after setting up any new backup procedure.

• Like 1