RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rex53

DrivePop Results?

Rex53

Its been a couple of months since some of you jumped on the DrivePop deal.  How's it going now?  What's your experience using it day-to-day.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this, but wanted to hear some real world experience first.

Thanks,

Dan

schoondoggy

So far it is working fine for me.

I have 3TB backed up there.

I have not done too much other testing.

Jason

Am using it. Though I haven't yet completed a full backup yet. Not certain whether I'll discontinue CrashPlan now that I have a lifetime Drivepop subscription. Some observations:

- there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the order it backs up files

- if you have a PC named PC1 and begin a backup, if you need to rebuild that machine at any point, you're backup will start over. You'll them have 2 backup sets on the Livedrive.com server with same machine name. You then need to rename one to DELETEME and open a support ticket to have it removed. Unlike CrashPlan where a new install and adopt/continue and existing backup on their server.

- if real time backup option is enabled, it often locks files like Outlook local PSTs requiring you to close the Livedrive client and re-open Outlook to use your existing PST.

jsox

The PST file issue is noted in their FAQ. www.drivepop.com/faq

I've had it running on an XP test machine for about 6 months now and have ~650 GB uploaded.

For me it seems slow compared to CrashPlan, I never get more than about 250 - 300 KBps for data transfers (as reported by the detailed status monitoring screen).

Livedrive only runs when you are logged in on the PC. As their FAQ puts it "Livedrive is not a service but an application therefore you to be logged in during transfer or scanning of files."

The biggest thing is that I apparently do not understand the scan and upload process very well. It doesn't seem completely deterministic. A file will be listed as existing when I look at my backups online but it won't be uploaded yet. Even though a scan cycle has completed and supposedly everything that needed to be uploaded had uploaded. I think. Apparently I don't understand the algorithm and that worries me a bit.

Also, EXE and ISO files are permanently excluded from backup by the system and "this list cannot be changed".

So far I continue to conclude that I should continue using CrashPlan.

Jason

I currently have subscriptions to both DP and CP. DP mainly because of an aggressive unlimited lifetime promo they ran a year ago. My CP subscription is due to expire but I have 2 TB backed up which I'll like renew for peace of mind.

Am currently running a CP client on my Mac to backup video and photo to my WSE12 server. I then use my CP cloud subscription to backup from the WSE12 server to the cloud which includes both local server data (ISOs etc) and the CrashPlan data from the Mac.

Am confident DrivePop will mature over time. But Amazon S3 simply seemed too expensive for my needs.

timekills

The PST file issue is noted in their FAQ. www.drivepop.com/faq

I've had it running on an XP test machine for about 6 months now and have ~650 GB uploaded.

For me it seems slow compared to CrashPlan, I never get more than about 250 - 300 KBps for data transfers (as reported by the detailed status monitoring screen).

Livedrive only runs when you are logged in on the PC. As their FAQ puts it "Livedrive is not a service but an application therefore you to be logged in during transfer or scanning of files."

The biggest thing is that I apparently do not understand the scan and upload process very well. It doesn't seem completely deterministic. A file will be listed as existing when I look at my backups online but it won't be uploaded yet. Even though a scan cycle has completed and supposedly everything that needed to be uploaded had uploaded. I think. Apparently I don't understand the algorithm and that worries me a bit.

Also, EXE and ISO files are permanently excluded from backup by the system and "this list cannot be changed".

So far I continue to conclude that I should continue using CrashPlan.

Agree with all except the .exe files exclusion. In the backup settings you can select to have .EXE files backed up. I'll have to look at ISO; I thought you could choose those as well. However those files aer not backed up by default.

It has worked well for me as a backup of larger files (i.e. home video) that I don't expect to change much and don't need any versioning. As jsox mentioned, there is some disparity between the application's status of what is updated/complete and when you cana ctually access and/or download from your site, but it all does get there eventually.

A little used feature is the ability to stream music and video from your stored files, even to mobile devices. Works surprisingly well, and I am fairly certain it even does some sort of transcoding because I was able to watch a stored MKV on a phone that natively could not play it.

Jason

Timekills is correct. If you right click on the Livedrive system tray icon and click Manage Backup, the first tab has several file formats excluded by default including ISO and EXE. I know you can deselect them to include them in future backups.

jsox

Do you actually see EXE and ISO files in your backup that have been uploaded and can be restored?

I read the "list cannot be changed" quote somewhere on the DrivePop site, although I failed to find it again just now.

Perhaps it applied to an older version of the desktop client?

Jason

Yes. I've backed up all my Windows OS ISOs after enabling them for backup and they're available in cloud for restore. I expect EXE are also but haven't run across one in my quick spot check.

Technogod

I'm also seeing around 300 Kbps upload speed. This concerns me because DrivePop states on their website upload speeds are determined by my bandwidth. My bandwidth is 10Mbps upload using speedtest London UK server. From what I've seen so far. CrashPlan software and upload speeds are far superior. I did take advantage of the DrivePop $189 Lifetime Offer but now I'm not so sure it's what I'm looking for. I submitted a support ticket regarding the 300Kbps upload speed. I'll give it 30 days. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash and go with CrashPlan.