RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

mControl problems resolved!

CablDeViL

For those of you that have installed mControl's plugin for home automation this may be interesting.

As you may or may not know mControl is a plugin that will control ...well anything electrical in your home. From light switches and dimmers to HVAC to Blinds to video cams. From here you can set it up to fully automate everything via the WHS and you can even control your house from your itouch/iphone or a computer anywhere in the world.

The PLM (Power Line Modem) connects to the outlet and then the WHS via usb. Each switch or device that is wired to the house has is own 6 digit ip address E1:12:4A. So basically its acts like a power line network.

The problem with many of the mControl users would loose connection to the PLM via the usb, status of the switch would not show correctly, failure to turn on or off the switch from time to time and unable to ping or link a new switch to the PLM. All of these issues required a reboot of the WHS except the issue where the PLM could not ping or find a new switch.

Since I was wiring my house and adding new breakers and branches I figured I would run a power line under the cellar stairs and make it a server closet. I ran outdoor 12/3 line because its flat and has double the insulation to help with cross talk. After installing and powering up the system, to my surprise not one problem at all. Everything works as advertised. It seems you would like to plug the PLM into its own dedicated line or at least one circuit that has low interference and noise. That was the reason I could not link one of the switches that where on the other end of the house.

I have not had to reboot my server since that day (except for an update from MS) and that was in March!

Happy Automating

CablDeViL,

are you running just the WHS version of mControl? or is it on a media center as well? Where did you purchase it from? I wish this software was a little cheaper.

The concept is cool but the software is a bit buggy at least for me. I am in the process of trying it again to see if things have improved.

shollz,

yes I am running the mCOntrol add-in, once installed it will integrate as a WMC plug-in.
I purchase mControl from www.embeddedautomation.com and I purchase my switches and other hardware from smarthome.com.

They price is a little high but it is a complex piece of software. Make sure you read Tim Daleo's posts on the subject. Good Stuff =)

As far as the software I thought it was buggy but it just seems that when I cleaned up the power line issues everything works great. it just works!

I already have most of my house on X10. But, i would like to automate things a little better and integrate it with my home server.

I dont know how well it works with x10 since all of mine is Insteon. Let me know how it works if you purchase it.

shollz,
They do have a trial version you can take for a spin. I messed with the X10 and had issues but it might be my wirig. Give their trial version a spin.

• 2 months later...

For everyone that is using Inteon, did anyone buy the wire in switches or more of the lamp modules? And if anyone has used to Phase couplers / Access points did it help out with any of the buggy issues?

sorry senji323 I did do not have any of the switches I have the one switches in the wall for my front lights - rear lights - dining room and foyer -- they look like a reg toggle switch I will have to get the part # for you. But as far as the phase coupler goes you need it in a dual phase house such as the ones in the US!!! I ran new lines into the server room one from each leg and that made everything well.

CablDevil,

Can you list which controller you are using, and which modules you are using. I am about to go down this road so I would like to learn from your experiences.