RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PFsense and dynamic DNS

2percenter

Hi, as far as I can remember we have some PFSENSE experts in here. I replaced my router with a PFSENSE solution, version 2.01 ( Its now its not the newest).

Now I like to add dynamic DNS updates and I like to use my provider, which is not listed in the dropdown of DynDNS providers within PFSENSE :-(

Any idea how I can add my provider, I haven't seen a field where I can add the "updater URL".

If that's not working, what free DYNDNS provider can be recommended, I don't like one where I need to confirm the account all 30 days and I don't like to pay, because I'm already paying my local provider...

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Some providers, particularly the telcos, change them fairly often. Ma Bell in Canada has been known to change them once every 24 hours.

The typical DSL provider in Germany changes the IP daily ! (To get you in a more expensive contract with a fixed IP)

I'm using cable and it doesn't change that often. Unfortunately I was too optimistic, it doesn't work. I completed all fields with username and password, update URL and so on, but it doesn't update the IP ?

I used wireshark and have seen the following result from the provider, any idea , it looks like it doesn't pass the credentials to the server...

HTTP /1.1 401 Authorization Required

HTTP Basic Authorization missing

What do you use to update your DNS entries, any good software which is free and running as a service which I can install on one of my VMs ?

Regards

I have used in the past No-IP.com.  Worked perfectly.  It checks your external address every 15 minutes

Had a look at noip, seems there is a need to get the account confirmed every 30 days ? Or is it good enough if the ip gets updated frequently ?

Regards

The software you install (very small) checks your external IP every 15 minutes and reports back to update the DNS records.