RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup service will not start after full HD

AwesomeSpaceMonkey

The drive I use for client backups got full on my WHS2011 box.  I added a second drive and moved some of my shared folders over to free up some space.  It looks like the backups got messed up though because they are no longer visible in the computer properties tab.  I'm sure they were there before and backups were working properly before the drive got full.  I am unable to start the client backup service on the server.  It notifies me that the service isn't running but when I try to start it it simply fails.  I tried moving the client backup folder to the other hard drive but the problem remains.  I tried repairing the client backups but that fails.  I guess the next step it to just reset the backups and start over but I thought I would ask the community for any suggestions before doing that.  Thanks.

Peter

It sounds like the server can't find the client backups folder. Under the server folders tab is the path correct for the client computer backups folder? Right click on folder and select folder properties. Does it show the correct folder size?

Yes, the folder properties indicate that it is the proper size.  I moved the folder using the Dashboard.  I have tried to start the 'Windows Server Client Backup' service via the alert viewer and through the services UI and neither work.  I think the backups are there but they won't show up until I can get the service running.  Thanks.

Got it fixed.  I guess the commit.dat file was corrupt in the client backup folder.  It said the file was 0kb.  I renamed the file and reran the client backup repair process.  The repair process created a new commit.dat file that is 5kb.  My old client backups are now listed again in the computer properties and the client computer was successfully backed up last night.  Thanks for your help.

• 6 months later...

Got it fixed.  I guess the commit.dat file was corrupt in the client backup folder.  It said the file was 0kb.  I renamed the file and reran the client backup repair process.  The repair process created a new commit.dat file that is 5kb.  My old client backups are now listed again in the computer properties and the client computer was successfully backed up last night.  Thanks for your help.

Thanks, this is still a problem on Windows Server 2012 Essentials, and your tip just saved my butt!