RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microsoft Security Essentials done -- what to switch to?

And as for MSE.... I've recently had to REINSTALL two computers that were running MSE because they got hit with the CryptoLocker virus stuff.

Seroiusly, one the system has been infected.... god, it trashes the system. BADLY. I mean, I've manually removed viruses more than a few times, but that stuff, don't bother. Restore or reinstall and save yourself time.

Drashna, been reading about this ransomware. Scary stuff. How did your systems become infected? You're quite security conscious. I've been locking down all my standard user accounts on WSE12 to either read only or no access on file shares where possible. Also installed malware bytes with file protection enabled.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• Jason

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The ESET Family 5 Pack on sale has sold out. Guess they've been reading the HSS forums.

Posted Images

Drashna Jaelre

Drashna, been reading about this ransomware. Scary stuff. How did your systems become infected? You're quite security conscious. I've been locking down all my standard user accounts on WSE12 to either read only or no access on file shares where possible. Also installed malware bytes with file protection enabled.

Because the computers weren't mine, not at my place of residence. They were computers of friends that I periodically maintain.  I'd installed MSE on them, because at the time that was plenty (and their owners are dirt poor).

As for security on my home system, I'm the only user with full access to anything. And I'm super careful about what I download and/or run. If I'm not 100% certain about something, that's part of why I have HyperV running on my server...