RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microsoft Security Essentials done -- what to switch to?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• Jason

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The ESET Family 5 Pack on sale has sold out. Guess they've been reading the HSS forums.

Posted Images

Is it worth anything to you or you're trying to squeeze the most juice possible? :-)

I have mixed feelings about MS as AV vendor, both professionally and "along friends".

But for the free/almost free ones my bet are on avg, Kaspersky and panda. They have limited footprint and not bloated like Norton, f-secure, trend micro.

Just received monthly newsletter from Microsoft about Computer Security. 

They made no mention about how they are getting slammed in the

tech press.

Is it worth anything to you or you're trying to squeeze the most juice possible? :-)

I have mixed feelings about MS as AV vendor, both professionally and "along friends".

But for the free/almost free ones my bet are on avg, Kaspersky and panda. They have limited footprint and not bloated like Norton, f-secure, trend micro.

I always felt it was a good match -- who better to protect the most sensitive parts of your OS than the company who made it?

The price was a bonus -- I paid for AV for several years, but got tired of the constant churn of "who's better this year" articles.  After reading them, you feel as if you should change from what you bought two years ago (which was always way down the list) to whatever was now on top.  

Looooong ago I relied on Norton, then it became a total resource hog that seemed to want to micromanage everything.  Used AVG for several years then it too displeased me in some way (can't remember exactly what any more).  When MSE came along I found it refreshingly light and it didn't bother me or get in my way.  I've been happy with it -- could be I've just been lucky as I don't think my family does much "risky" surfing, but it seemed to work well.

Whatever I get now will be just AV -- I think total security packages are overkill.  I don't need an outbound firewall or safe-surfing or registry "optimization" or something that watches passwords and credit card numbers.

I agree with you . I don't need a 32 program all-in-one suite. I recently gave Norton a try

and it found nothing that was missed by MSSE. I too don't do risky surfing either. Luckily,

my kids are too young to have bad internet habits yet, but I know the day is coming.

For now I will be careful and likely stick with MSSE for the  moment.

Whatever I get now will be just AV -- I think total security packages are overkill.  I don't need an outbound firewall or safe-surfing or registry "optimization" or something that watches passwords and credit card numbers.

Yea that really grinds my gears, and all these fancy GUIs that makes AV looks like a NASA space mission. :)