RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microsoft Security Essentials done -- what to switch to?

Thanks Microsoft -- make a product I like and use and then a couple years later yank the rug out from under me!  Let's see....has this happened before?

Apparently Microsoft is now recommending users use a third-party antivirus product -- see this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

I've used it since it came out, and (although I knew it was never the best AV out there) it was free, light on resources and seemed to do a decent job for my family.  Now I guess I have to find a different product.

Any recommendations from this group?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• Jason

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The ESET Family 5 Pack on sale has sold out. Guess they've been reading the HSS forums.

Posted Images

Is that the free or paid Malwarebytes?  I always thought that was more of a tool for fixing a PC that has become infected.  Does it proactively prevent malware as well?

Poppapete

Which begs another age old question! Should I turn my computer off? I don't. It probably reboots about once every 6 weeks after a particular update from MS or when I change some hardware and take the opportunity to clean out some dust. The only advantage I see of turning it off is to save power.

bitsdujour will have malwarebytes at a steep discount on occasion. It still leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but most reviews I read give the nod to Norton, however safe surfing trumps them all. I recently gave Norton a try and it found nothing missed by MSSE. Used AVG Fileserver AV on my server and it found nothing on my server or in backups.

This topic always gets a lot of comments as everyone seems to pick a team then root for them all the way :)

For what it's worth, I use Eset Endpoint Antivirus on my machines, and Eset File Security on my WHS2011 box.

Now the disclaimer: The company I work for is a reseller and we install a lot of Eset products on customer machines.. It is 100% ? No.

No A/V is. I still see people that manage to infect their machines with the "FBI" or Homeland  Security" ransom-ware.

It is still very effective and the server back-end is a cinch to setup and keep and eye on all of your clients A/V status and pull updates down from the server.

From what I have seen on customer machines that come it, if I had to pick a 2nd at this point from a pure stability and detection standpoint it would probably be Kaspersky.