RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Insufficient storage available for backup

Poppapete

Error on one client when I have 3TB of space available on the backup server.  A little research suggests I remove the recovery partition (300MB) from the backup list. Yes that works but now I can't do a bare metal restore.  Why won't it backup the little recovery partition. Is it something to do with GPT style partitioning? I'm sure it used to back it up!  Client is Windows 8.1 and Server is 2012 essentials.

IIRC it's because that small partition does not have enough free space within it. Server does some kind of check and needs some free space to work.

There are other posts here that cover the subject so look around.

I agree with diehard. I believe there are 2 approaches: make a bigger Recovery Partition (i.e. increase its size); and get rid of it altogether. There are implications to both approaches as I recall, so research it thoroughly.

Had a good look at my Disk 0 (GPT partitioned SSD) and consists of 300MB Recovery Partition, a 99MB EFI System Partition and a C: drive with my 8.1 OS

With only the C: drive being backed up I would not be able to do a bare metal restore

Someone in the forums solved the problem by increasing the size of the recovery partition.  Can't see any downside to that as long as it doesn't stop the boot which should start from C:

I would recommend resizing partitions.... because what happens when the disk fails? 

Also.... it is entirely possible that a free space consolidation defrag pass may fix the issue too. I'm not as sure about that, but it may.

I forget who posted it, but the person who opted to remove the recovery partition did it in a way that made it completely restorable from WHS.