RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can I use Hyper V in Win 8 to Virtualize Win 7 Media Center?

vinylfreak

OK , this is a total Noob question on virtualization. 

Because many of my Media Center Plugins are wonky in Windows 8 , I was wondering if I would be able to run Windows 7 Media Center

in the Windows 8 Hyper V built in feature.

Has anyone done this? Within hyper V will 7 MC recognize TV tuners cards and network tuners.

Will I be able to go Full Screen with Media Center? From the times I did mildly play with Hyper V, I seem to remember not being able to go full screen.

I really do not want to build another dedicated box , just to run 7MC.

I am currently running Win 8 Pro with 16GB of Ram. I think that should be plenty to run one Hyper V instance of 7MC.

Is there a better way to do this??

I am open to any and all feedback.

Thanks!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• vinylfreak

• ikon

• tojoski

Ohhh, dude, I think the tuner cards could be a problem. Basically, you need a virtual driver to talk to devices. I'm skeptical about whether there are any for tuner cards. You might have better luck with network tuners though, since virtual NIC drivers are part of HyperV.

Full screen? Hmmm, might be an issue too.

It's an ambitious project for sure. I hope I'm wrong about the tuner cards and full screen, but I'm worried I'm not. I hope someone jumps in and straightens me out.

I intend on trying this exact project on a machine running 8.1 Preview tonight.

I have a HD Homerun dual network tuner I'll be installing, so I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Which of your Mediacenter plugins are wonky?

I intend on trying this exact project on a machine running 8.1 Preview tonight.

I have a HD Homerun dual network tuner I'll be installing, so I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Which of your Mediacenter plugins are wonky?

Look forward to your results!

My Movies , Tuner Salad, TMT6, and MyChanells logo just to name a few, seem buggy from time to time , compared to Win 7.

I really wish you guys luck on this.  Any internal tuners probably will not work and I believe you will have to have a discreet card as well.  You may have to resort to ESXi for this one so you can pass through any internal cards.  Want full details and someone to come on BYOB to talk about their trials or successes.

Well this was pretty much a total failure. Hyperv doesn't have the GFX horsepower to actually display live TV in mediacenter, nor can it pass any audio out to the host.

Technically it is possible to pass audio over an RDP session but the video would be horrible.

I was however able to install the software for the HD Homerun and configure it. I'm curious at this point if I could connect a Mediacenter extender to the VM and make it work

that way, but don't have one to test it with.

Yeah, GFX would kill it...

However, if you use network tuners (like the HD Homerun), and you set up a RemoteFX server.... I suppose that would work out very well.

and OMG, COMIC SANS! :P

Yeah, GFX would kill it...

However, if you use network tuners (like the HD Homerun), and you set up a RemoteFX server.... I suppose that would work out very well.

and OMG, COMIC SANS! :P

Hey! Drashna

Don't be Hating on my Comic Sans! Its my Favorite Font.  ;-)

While I do utilize HDHomerun ATSC tuners in my setup, I have to be able to at least use one internal TV Tuner card to get my Dish Satellite signal into my HTPC.

I was really hoping that virtualization had advanced enough for me to do this , somewhat easily.

Looks like I will be going through my excess PC parts again and scrounging up some pennies to build yet another box.   :( 

Hopefully this doesn't land me in Divorce Court.  

lol. I actually do like comic sans, it's just so ODD to see it. :P

HD Homerun is about the only way to go for what you want. HyperV doesn't support passing through those cards (PCI or PCIe). 

Though, DVBLink may work for that. But it's been a while, and I'm not even sure it's still supported. :(