RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
busytech

RAID 5 Gen8

busytech

Hey Guys,  I've just order a base model G8 which i would like to setup as a NAS with 4 x 4TB WD Red drives.  I realise that the onboard raid will not support this so could someone please recommend  an alternilve method that i could look at?  I don't really want to spend $300+ on a P222 controller.

Thanks in advance!

psikey

Hey Guys,  I've just order a base model G8 which i would like to setup as a NAS with 4 x 4TB WD Red drives.  I realise that the onboard raid will not support this so could someone please recommend  an alternilve method that i could look at?  I don't really want to spend $300+ on a P222 controller.

Thanks in advance!

That's actually cheap for a proper RAID card with FWBC which is really needed for RAID5. I have one and great performance as RAID5.

As you can see from this thread (http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5991-anyone-usingused-non-hp-raid-cards-in-gen8/) it can be a bit "hit n miss" with non HP cards.

Edited by psikey

schoondoggy

I am running a P212 in the MS G8, along with the B120i. Cost on ebay around $150. The limitation on the P212 and the P410 series is they run SAS at 6Gb but SATA at 3Gb. The RR2720 is a popular card, not sure if anyone has tried one in a G8.

snapper

I have a Gen8 running Centos Linux (Red Hat) with a 3 x 3tb RAID5 array done by software RAID - mdadm

Works fine, but if you want a plug'n'play NAS, take a look at freenas - I tried it and it also works fine but is heavy on memory requirements. (which I why I went with Centos instead)

Just disable the onboard RAID and run in AHCI mode.

Edited by snapper

ikon

And don't forget, with a Windows OS, you have the option of using drive pooling software like DrivePool, DriveBender, flexRAID, PoolHD, etc.

Robertomcat

Hello good afternoon!

Revivo this thread to ask you something about the controller p410 BBWC installed in the G8. It turns out that I bought this card recently and I would put on RAID 5 disk wd 4x4 red. This would be possible with this card?

Thank you very much and greetings!

schoondoggy

Hello good afternoon!

Revivo this thread to ask you something about the controller p410 BBWC installed in the G8. It turns out that I bought this card recently and I would put on RAID 5 disk wd 4x4 red. This would be possible with this card?

Thank you very much and greetings!

The P410 will support RAID5 as long as there is a memory module on it. SATA drives on a P410 will run at 3Gbps.

Robertomcat

The P410 will support RAID5 as long as there is a memory module on it. SATA drives on a P410 will run at 3Gbps.

Thank you for answering.

The p410 I bought, carries the battery and disks are SATA III. I would like to have the operating system installed on the odd bay, which is 3GB / s. Would work around the system at this speed?

I understand that some things are beyond me time to translate with Google translator. Excuse me :( 

schoondoggy

Thank you for answering.

The p410 I bought, carries the battery and disks are SATA III. I would like to have the operating system installed on the odd bay, which is 3GB / s. Would work around the system at this speed?

I understand that some things are beyond me time to translate with Google translator. Excuse me :(

Even if the SATA disks connected to the P410 are SATA III they will run at SATA II speed, it is a limitation of the P410. You can run a drive on the ODD port for your OS or you could use port 1 on the B120i which will run at SATA III speed. You will need to get a SFF-8087 to SATA cable to use the on board SATA ports. Or you could run the OS drive on the second SFF-8087 port on the P410.

Robertomcat

Even if the SATA disks connected to the P410 are SATA III they will run at SATA II speed, it is a limitation of the P410. You can run a drive on the ODD port for your OS or you could use port 1 on the B120i which will run at SATA III speed. You will need to get a SFF-8087 to SATA cable to use the on board SATA ports. Or you could run the OS drive on the second SFF-8087 port on the P410.

Sorry, I was having dinner :)

Because he understood that this controller stand SATAIII :(

Thanks for the info!