RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Pool Problem

Octavean

My old HP EX490 Windows Home Server failed unceremoniously not too long ago.  I was able to repair it by replacing the PSU but it failed again a month or so later, this time likely the OS drive.  When it was down the first time I hurriedly constructed a new server using components I had on hand:

Core i5 2500K

Asus P8P67 Pro

4GB DDR3 1600

3x WD 3TB HDD

2x Seagate 3TB HDD

1x Seagate 4TB HDD

Antec 900 case

3x Hot-Swap SATA III / SAS HDD cage (4x3.5")

Windows Server 2012 Essentials

I've since added a few other HDD's all to a single pool. Drive by drive I copied over the data from the old HP EX490 to the new Server 2012 Essentials box. The problem is that racked with concern about losing data combined with the scant understanding of the new features in Server 2012 Essentials, I keep coming up with storage pool issues.

When I setup the Storage Spaces Pool I apparently used "Thin" provisioning whereas I think "Fixed" would have been ideal. In total the server now has about ~25TB of storage but the Capacity is listed as 15.5TB with only about 1TB free.

So under Control Panel > System and Security > Storage Spaces I see:

"Using 14.6TB of 24.5TB Pool Capacity"

Clicking Change Settings >  Change (Change Storage Spaces) show the following:

Total Capacity: 24.5TB

Available Pool Capacity: 9.88TB

Storage Spaces Size (Max) 15.5TB

Including Resiliency 15.4TB

Attempting to change (increase) the Storage Spaces Size results in the "Change Storage Space" button at the bottom being grayed out.

So I have no clue how to get the Storage Spaces size to match the total capacity of the storage. 

An additional problem is there seems to be no GUI option to remove HDD's once they have been added to the pool. Apparently we have to use PowerShell to do this but I haven't come across any easy to follow walkthroughs for this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oct.

For some reason I can't edit the above post.

OK, I went to:

Server Manager > File and Storage Services > Storage Pools

Selected the Storage Pool then right clicked it and chose "Extend Virtual Disk" from the popup menu.  Entered a larger capacity of 24TB and clicked OK.  From there,  navigated to Volumes  then right clicked Storage Spaces Pool and selected "Extend Volume" from the drop down list. I matched the size to 24TB and clicked OK but received an error.  I tried it again and now the Extend Volume option max is listed as 15.5TB of which it won't accept anything larger.

Any help would be great,...

Thanks in advance.

Oct. 

Edited by Octavean

Sorry, I don't have an answer; just wanted to say you are a much braver man than me by using SS.

Amen to that!

ANd yes, you should always use Server Manager to mange Storage Spaces. Not Control Panel. It works better (and why you shouldn't use SS on Windows 8...)

Thanks for the input.

Since my old HP EX490 server went down I still have about ~99% of the data backed up on its individual HDD's. So in theory I could start over without losing much.   The bulk of the data is from recorded TV (AVCHD via Media Center all DRM free) of which I have thousands of recordings.  So some new recordings could be lost.  I also have pictures and home videos but much of this is duplicated elsewhere and doesn't take up much space comparatively. 

While I do feel like I have a bit of a safety net, I don't want to be reckless either. 

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oct.

Hi Oct!

I would only use Thin provisioning and only work through Server Manager.  Check this Blog post and links http://homeservershow.com/creating-and-measuring-the-performance-of-a-storage-space-pool-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-preview-part-2.html

Thin provisioning will allow you to over provision which is one of the cool things about Storage Spaces.

clip_image0052.jpg

For storing data I would only go with 2-Way Mirrored resiliency -- parity is way to slow to write to IMHO, YMMV.

If you create a simple resiliency Virtual Disk it's like creating a giant RAID0 virtual disk across all the HDD's in the pool and you cannot remove a physical HDD from the pool.

You could create another Virtual Disk in your Storage Space Pool and assign it thin provising, 2-way mirror resiliency, NTFS and allocate 30TB or whatever to it -- then move your data from the Virtual Disk you're having problems with to this new virtual disk and delete the 1st.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thanks Joe_Miner for the suggestion.

I was thinking I would create a new pool and new virtual disc(s) but your suggestion of creating a new virtual disc on the same storage space pool is easier. I'll stick with thin provisioning as well. Resiliency is a different issue though. I don't really want resiliency for some things like my recorded TV share. There storage space is the focuse and much of it is either backed up elsewhere or simply not impotent enough to lose space with any kind of duplication.

So 2 way mirror resiliency would be fine for something like my photos and videos for example.

Anyway, I think your suggestion will work just fine.

I'll update the post when I have it all implemented.

Thanks!

Yes I do.

We have a couple of options one of which is a server I purchased and setup at a relatives house. It's an old HP LX195. Sometimes I upload to it other times I just take a portable HDD. My Wife makes extensive use of online backup too