RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upcoming WHS2 Build

Alvin Ramard

Well, I'm about to order the remainder of the parts I need for my new home server. I have already have the HDs installed in a test setup.

Feel free to comment on my choices.

Case: COOLER MASTER CM690 II Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel
Mb: GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-CoreMemory: A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Power Supply: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

System HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3160318AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare
Storage HD: 2 x HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 (0F10311) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard

I'm not going to order an optical drive at this time. I'll either used the one from my desktop or my external one for setting up the server. I'm thinking about possibly getting a Blu-ray drive in the future.

Alvin

That didn't take long. I changed my mind about which case to get. I'm going to get the advanced version of the same case. The main reason for the change is two more fans for just $10 more.

New Case: COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Looks good! What kind of fans does it come with and how are the reviews on them? I know a lot of builders, including myself, dump the factory fans and go with Scythe or comparable for the quality and quiet. Just a thought. I like the case though.

The only comments I read about the fans is that they are quiet and that the case had plenty of air flow. The case has room for 10 fans of various sizes. I didn't go any further into the specs on the fans. I know I can always make changes later if needed.

The case comes with 1 front mounted 140 mm fan, 1 rear 120 mm, and a top 140 mm. That's only 3. I'm still wondering where I read 4.

Another difference between the 2 cases that I did not mention is the external Sata docking staion on the top of the case that is only available on the advanced model.

AlvinRamard
Looks really good. I like all the choices you made. My luck with seagate and hitachi have not been that great so I hope yours is better. The rest looks like it will be a great system. Let us know how you like it.

I'm contemplating a new i3 build for Vail as well, but I'm wondering if there are any different choices on motherboards. Namely, I'm hoping to find a uATX board with onboard graphics. Otherwise, I like the setup!

pcdoc,

I've never had any problems with drives and I hope my luck continues.

The fun never ends. I just realized I do not have any free ports left on my router. Looks like I'm not done with my shopping. First thing I need to figure out id if I want to add to my existing equipment, or replace it.

Alvin

I went with the Antec 550 W modular. I have this PS in my main PC and new i3 build. For what it's worth, I hooked up a Kill A Watt to my main PC, started up a game, and checked the power usage. It was around 150-175 W, and that's with a 5770 video card in there. Unless you're really going to load up with dual or tri SLI, this PS should cover you.

Also, if you want 4 fans, check out LIAN LI K60B. Quiet, roomy, well-made. I have two of these.

AlvinRamard,

I had a similar problem and picked-up a DLink DGC-2208 10/100/1000 switch for cheap. It works great, and I'm really happy about the "green" tech they've been putting into their products. It shuts down ports you aren't using and turns down power on ports with shorter wire lengths. Using it to connect all my home devices, keeping them segregated from all the work that tends to follow me home...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=495

I agree with mrossco, go with the 2208 as they are great switches and frequently find them on sale. I have four of them on my network and not have any issues.