RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 major crash - Need Help

bsherry

I was ready to transfer files from WHSv1 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials when I had a major crash with my WHSv1, lost computer and 2 HDD (1 was the OS disk), I salvaged the other 6 2TB disk drives.  All files were duplicated except the movies files ( If I lose some that will not bother me). My thoughts were to rebuild a new computer with the intent to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials but first to install WHSv1 and try the restore feature to see what files were still available.

New server build with WHSv1 installed with all updates, all 6 remaining drives are healthy and install into the computer but not installed into WHSv1.  I am unable to find the restore feature.  Where do I find this feature and how do I use it? 

Will I be able to perform this function?

Would I be able to read the encrypted files directly into Windows Server 2012 R2 if I was to install this OS, movie files I would be able to copy them over directly?

I am at a lost on what direction to go to salvage most of my data.

I would appreciate any help in this area.  Thank you for your attention to my problem.

If the OS drive died.... you only get a clean isntallation option with WHSv1. 

And with the clean install, there is NO recovery option. You must manually rebuild the pool. But don't worry, it's not complicated, just time consuming. And I've done it.... hundreds of times (I so wish this was a joke).

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/73-migrate-pool-to-new-system/

That's a detailed guide on how to migrate the old pool to the "new" system.

Alternatively, if you chose to go to WHS2011 (~$40 on newegg) or Server 2012, you could grab StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender (both ~20), and the process would take minutes, instead of hours or days.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

As for the client backups... those are gone. Toast. At best, you have partial files, which means you'd need a repair, and that will likely fail because you've lost data... (one disk... maybe, two disks, hosed)

And if you're migrating to WHS2011 or Server 2012 Essentials, the client database is not compatible, at all. So you'd have to start backups from scratch.

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

Did you include the data files in the server backup?

Yes according to my initial post I indicated movies were not duplicated, all other pc backups which including data files were included into my backups.  I'm mostly concerned about older backups, I can start new with current backups.

If the OS drive died.... you only get a clean isntallation option with WHSv1. 

And with the clean install, there is NO recovery option. You must manually rebuild the pool. But don't worry, it's not complicated, just time consuming. And I've done it.... hundreds of times (I so wish this was a joke).

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/73-migrate-pool-to-new-system/

That's a detailed guide on how to migrate the old pool to the "new" system.

Alternatively, if you chose to go to WHS2011 (~$40 on newegg) or Server 2012, you could grab StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender (both ~20), and the process would take minutes, instead of hours or days.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

As for the client backups... those are gone. Toast. At best, you have partial files, which means you'd need a repair, and that will likely fail because you've lost data... (one disk... maybe, two disks, hosed)

And if you're migrating to WHS2011 or Server 2012 Essentials, the client database is not compatible, at all. So you'd have to start backups from scratch.

Where I'm planning on going to Window Server 2012 R2 Essentials any way, this concept sounds interesting to me.  Let me see if I'm understanding what you are saying.  I would do a clean install of Window Server 2012 R2 Essentials then install StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender (which one would you suggest to be the best and easiest to use?).  The backups is what I really wanted to salvage because of old data on the drives.  But as I understand all that data is definitely hosed, is that correct?

What is your understanding about Window Server 2012 R2 Essentials?  If the same thing was to happen to me again in the future, using a standard server program, is Microsoft going to leave us users High & Dry again by not support a migration path forward?  I feel like I've been had by Microsoft when they did not support WHSv1.

If the data was not duplicated, then you lost everything on the Hard drives that have failed. :(  

If you lost two disks.... chances are you have lost things that are duplicated as well. Almost guaranteed. And since you lost the system disk.... there is no way to even remotely  tell what you've lost. Sorry. :(

This is why I like programs like Sickbeard. It's meant for piracy, to be completely honest. But it works fantastic for inventorying your TV shows (including fetching metadata).

As for the backups.... you've lost two drives, right? Then you've lost a good chunk of the backup database. It's in the pool and spread out between drives. And it's not duplicated. So losing one disks means that you may not be able to use the backups. If you've lost two, then you're pretty much SOL.   Sorry.

And I would recommend Windows Server 2012 Essentials over the R2 version. A lot of people are having various issues with R2 at the moment, but whichever one would work fine. (It's a ~$400 pricetag unless you get it from MSDN/Technet, which isn't for "production use", or if you wait, you can usually find deals).

But migrating the shared data will work though.

As for StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender. I like DrivePool more. Clean UI, runs well, lots of "balancing" options, duplication (x2 or more). But I'm also biased (check my signature).   

As for migration, it's a "SBS" product, so the migration is always to another server and not an in place upgrade. Unfortunately.

Also, to answer the question you posted on my blog:

Server 2012 (R2) Essentials has a connector software install page, instead of a separate disk. head to "http://myserver/Connect/" (replacing "myserver" with your server's name). That will allow you to download the Connector software. 

But be warned, the connector will want to join the clients to the domain. If you're not familiar with domains, this can be scary. Personally I like it. It allows you to use the same account on all computers (different settings and such). It makes authentication a lot easier! But if the DC crashes/dies/etc and cannot be restored.... you need to run Windows Easy Transfer on each computer to save most of the settings from the user profiles, and then leave the domain.... 

So if you don't want the domain network, you *can* skip it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13/how-to-skip-domain-joining-during-client-deployment-in-a-windows-server-2012-essentials-network

However, 2012R2 Essentials seems to have intermittent issues with this method.

After joining the domain (or not), it installs the Connector software and configures backups with the default configuration.

Let's "backup" a few posts and get to the real problem.  You have no backups of your data, right?

All backups were on the WHSv1 server and were duplicated, 2 lost drives, 1 being the OS.  I have no other backups.  All current backups can be recreated but it is some of the older backups that I would like to retrieve.

I read nothing in the original post about backups.  A good backup plan will incorporate what is referred to as the 3-2-1 plan.

3 copies of your critical data, 2 of which are on different media types, and 1 copy off site

If you are going the WSE 2012 route, you can use this registry edit to keep the clients off the domain:

To skip joining the domain during a client deployment
On your client computer, go to Start and search for command prompt "cmd".
In the search results, find cmd.exe and run as administrator.
Type the following command prompt: 

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Complete the steps on the Connect Computers to the Server Help topic.