RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Grant B

Replacement Motherboard for EX490?

Grant B

A while back, my EX490 went poof. I figured it was the power supply and ordered a replacement. In the meantime, I got a good deal on an EX495 so I bought it, set it up and started using it as my main server. When I received the new power supply, I installed it and - no go. Looks like the motherboard is toast.

My question is... is there anywhere I can purchase a replacement motherboard for the unit? I doubt that HP offers them anymore.

Cheers,

Grant

jmwills

Hp would have bought them from somewhere, so the trick is to determine the size which is most likely a miniATX. 

But most likely, you could get another box for the price of a replacement board or close to it.

ikon

There goes jmwills inventing new tech again. Now that micro-ATX and mini-ITX are a few years old, it's time for mini-ATX, blending the best of both worlds :D

Seriously though, I agree, the cost of a new board would likely cost almost as much as a newer generation of MicroServer.

jmwills

I cover all the bases.....

Drashna Jaelre

Winstron is the manufacturer of the HP MSS boards. If that helps. ;)

And a lot of the other embedded/small form fact motherboards. And probably for the MicroServer too.

ikon

I cover all the bases.....

Including the overseas ones :)

jmwills

:)

Grant B

I checked with the power supply vendor on how to check the PS and it appears that it is OK. That is what made me suspect the motherboard. I took a magnifying glass and looked over the board for any bulging caps or singed spots - motherboard looks fine...

Does anyone know some way to test the motherboard at home? The system does nothing... could that little power switch be broken - not allowing it to turn on?

I'd hate to trash the unit unless it is irrepairable, but I get what you mean about taking the cost of a replacement mobo and putting that towards a new unit. I don't suppose that any other mobo would fit in that box?

Thanks,

Grant.

ikon

You could find the 2 pins on the mobo that the power switch/button connects to and short them out with a screwdriver of similar. I often do that when benchtesting systems.

Grant B

Good Idea. Will have to try that.