RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scruffters

p222 smart array performance + Ubuntu support

scruffters

Hey guys,

I'm new here and wonder if anybody could help?

Having searched around for a couple of days I've been drawing blanks on info regarding the p222 controller (especially when paired with the Gen8 micro-server).

So I wondered if anybody already running the kit already can help before I buy this stuff as an expensive experiment. BTW HP support weren't really sure.

• Has any kind individual got benchmark data for the p222 using 4 x SATA3 in raid 5.
  • Has anybody tried to use the p222 with Debian/Ubuntu? They list the HPSA driver (although it doesn't specifically mention the p222, there is mention of supporting newer cards): http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man4/hpsa.4.html

Thanks for reading  :)

schoondoggy

Hmmmm,,,,

On one hand this says Ubuntu is supported on MS G8;

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hplinuxcert-canonical.html#matrix.html?aid=38293&pbid=TnL5HPStwNw&aoid=35252&siteid=TnL5HPStwNw-iv4BweCshJe74rUvJPztGg

but this leads me to believe that they did not test with the on board RAID B120i;

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/supportmatrix/ubuntu/exceptions/ubuntu-exceptions.html

As for the P222, I think some members of the forum have tested it, hopefully they will chime in. From the link you have above the P212 is supported and the P222 uses the same drivers, so it should work.

If I were you, I would send the question into HP support;

The MicroServer Gen 8 lists Ubuntu as a supported OS. The P222 is listed as a supported RAID controller for the MicroServer Gen 8. Does the P222 support Ubuntu in a MicroServer Gen 8?

I am running a P212 in my MS G8. I have not tried Ubuntu.

psikey

I have a P222 but only tested with a Windows 8 Pro install. Didn't do the numbers but very impressed with the RAID5 performance with 4 x 3TB WD RED drives.

scruffters

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated!

Hmmmm,,,,

On one hand this says Ubuntu is supported on MS G8;

http://h18004.www1.h...shJe74rUvJPztGg

but this leads me to believe that they did not test with the on board RAID B120i;

http://h18004.www1.h...exceptions.html

Its a curious one isn't it :blink:

I think the server chassis itself is supported and the same note appears here regarding the B120i:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201306-13791/

I guess I'd not be too worried about this if pairing it with the p222 anyway.

As for the P222, I think some members of the forum have tested it, hopefully they will chime in. From the link you have above the P212 is supported and the P222 uses the same drivers, so it should work.

If I were you, I would send the question into HP support;

Sadly HP support didn't appear to have any answers for me, other than to direct this question back to the folks that maintain the OS. It was a long conversation, but seemed to revolve around Debian based releases being 'community maintained'.

So I guess its a gamble.

I have a P222 but only tested with a Windows 8 Pro install. Didn't do the numbers but very impressed with the RAID5 performance with 4 x 3TB WD RED

Good to hear and thanks for the input  :)

For this one I'll probably be using the Seagate NAS specific drives. Maybe Reds as they are good too.

I'm used to working with 3ware and Adaptec controllers on some pretty big storage boxes, but for this one the p222 seems like the ideal candidate - especially at the price as it has the external SAS connector for attaching expansion further down the line. The equivalent from any of the big controller brands would be 600GBP+ and unlikely to fit in the case/insufficient cooling. So I guess the p222 is a little bit of a gem.
Edited by scruffters

saosin

Hi @scruffters,

What drives are you using? Does P222 support 4TB drives? I have 4x4TB Seagate NAS drives (ST4000DM000) and would love to know if they work before I go ahead and order one.

saosin

Also, would it be possible to attach a fifth drive? Would love to use a SSD to run Ubuntu and my 4x4TB in RAID5 for storage.

f0rtkN0x

Hi, 

i dont have received my P222 :( waiting for one more week.

ST4000VN000, because of better Support 24/7. ( i hope so, no warranty ^^)

I think you can use 5, u need a external cable for your P222, SSD over 5.th Bay (CD/DVD).

this both 4TB Seagates should work!! i mean, if my B120i can handle them, the P222 will do it too.

My question is: what would be better, 4 or 5 HDDs with Raid 5? I read it in the Wikipedia, best performance with 3, 5 or 8 HDDs? is this really true?

If i use 8 HDDs, so i will take Raid 6.

scruffters

Hi @scruffters,

What drives are you using? Does P222 support 4TB drives? I have 4x4TB Seagate NAS drives (ST4000DM000) and would love to know if they work before I go ahead and order one.

To tell the truth I've not had the chance to try.

I don't see why it wouldn't. My logic is that once you get over 2TB it really shouldn't make much of a difference. HP might have done something odd with the firmware, but I'd expect it to work fine - thats the best I can give ya ;)

You can fit an SSD in the optical drive bay on a G8, but I don't think the SATA port is 6Gbps. This has been covered a few times on the forum, so I won't elaborate.

Best of luck.

Edited by scruffters

schoondoggy

Also, would it be possible to attach a fifth drive? Would love to use a SSD to run Ubuntu and my 4x4TB in RAID5 for storage.

You could run the RAID 5 on the P222 and your SSD on the B120i. I have not tried it with Ubuntu, but it works with Windows Server.