RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 + Hyper-V + Haswell = Pain

Ubiquiti is very affordable for what you are getting. These are enterprise grade access points. Even at $299 they are much cheaper than Cisco, Aruba, Juniper, Xirrus,,,,,,,

Asus is a very good WiFi router. They may be in trouble for violating standards;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32170-netgear-suing-asus-for-wireless-hanky-panky

The suit is seeking injuntive relief, declaratory relief and damages for false advertising, unfair competition and interference with NETGEAR's business. NETGEAR claims that because ASUS' routers are believed to be more powerful and provide better range, it has "lost a large portion of its expected sales and lost much of its existing market share for premium Wireless Routers". (The filing states domestic market share of "approximately 40%" for home wireless routers in 2012.)

I almost fell of my seat when I read this paragraph. So let me see company A seems to have a better product then my company B and I need to makeup for lost revenue. I guess next Microsoft will sue Apple for the same thing.

Just my 2 cents

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• itGeeks

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In that case....Xerox should own everything sold by Apple and Microsoft.

Wellll, if company A has a better product because they're breaking the regulations, I can see why company B would want to sue. The unfortunate part is we, the consumers, suffer because every company will have to bring their products into spec.

What it says to me is that the spec needs revising. I say that because I haven't heard a ton of complaints from people claiming that their neighbours Asus router is ruining their own wireless network, so it doesn't appear that the extra power is a serious problem.

That said, breaking the rules is still breaking the rules, and if Asus did that, they should pay up.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I agree. I wish them luck with the  Lawsuit

Edited by Mr Fixit

You guys really think a company should be allowed to toss the regs into the dumpster and get away with it? What's to stop everyone from doing it/ If they all did it, it truly would be chaos.

Wellll, if company A has a better product because they're breaking the regulations, I can see why company B would want to sue. The unfortunate part is we, the consumers, suffer because every company will have to bring their products into spec.

What it says to me is that the spec needs revising. I say that because I haven't heard a ton of complaints from people claiming that their neighbours Asus router is ruining their own wireless network, so it doesn't appear that the extra power is a serious problem.

That said, breaking the rules is still breaking the rules, and if Asus did that, they should pay up.

Asus has one of the best performing products and I as the end user don't care how they got there. I want speed and reliability with my network and don't care y it works better. If Asus can do it then y don't others?? I have used and tested tons of these product for 20+ years and many of them get very hot and drop connections and in lots of situations fall off the network and require a reboot to get them back on so what company's are pushing over power limits??? Net Gear is just Upset because Asus make a better product then them and for that they are trying to get lost revenue from Asus. I wish them luck and we will see how it pans out. I can tell you this, Every unit from Asus I have ever had was running at 80% power so what does that mean? I am not sure but as far as I am concerned Asus was not pushing the limites of Power to get better performance.

I am not trying to beat you up ikon but I do love Asus products. 

Edited by Mr Fixit

I get that it's beneficial to us as consumers to have more powerful routers. I just don't think cheating should be rewarded. Following the philosophy you advocate, baseball players should start using loaded bats, all Olympic athletes should use performance enhancing drugs, identify theft should be legal, etc. etc. IOW, it's OK if you can get away with it. Sorry, can't go along with that.

Poppapete

FWIW I have had an N66U since they came on the market and it is the best hardware router I have owned. Thanks to this site I have since discovered the joys of pfSense and UT and now only use the ASUS as a wireless AP and "guest router" not connected to my LAN. It can be recommissioned as my main router in an emergency in a second. I am in Australia and assume our Federal Government does not test the electronic equipment but just waits till the USA approves then gives the go ahead.

In that case....Xerox should own everything sold by Apple and Microsoft.

Please, not that old saw again. Apple paid 4% of their stock to get the rights to the Xerox tech, and MS got rights by investing in Apple.