RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 + Hyper-V + Haswell = Pain

After hearing Martis rave about the Asus RT66NU, I bought one and love it. 

Yup, Asus makes some of the best routers/access points out there bar none. I used to be a big fan of Linksys networking stuff but over the years it has become junk in my humble opinion becouse of all the over heating and dropped WiFi all the time not to menchen poor wireless coverage and yes I had several of there latest models including the E4200 but I was never happy with the performance. On a mission to purchase a new router at the time I went to Micro Center and was drilling the sales men what is a great router and he sad Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U and I am thinking ya right but I went ahead and purchased it and guess what? I never looked back. Now I have owned several of there models to include the RT-N66U, The RT-AC66U and now there newest ac model the RT-AC68U and these devices just ROCK, Great WiFi coverage to three floors in my house as well as two wireless security cameras outside, No dropouts or over heats to date.

Anyone looking for one of the best wireless routers on the market don't hesitate to look at Asus. It wont disappoint. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• itGeeks

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In that case....Xerox should own everything sold by Apple and Microsoft.

I also have the RT66NU but only use it as my central access point in house. Disabled the router part in favor of pfsense. Am thinking of adding an old DIR-655 or WRT54G using captive portal for guests.

Jason,

Just wondering, Y do you need to ad a separate device for guest network when the RT-N66U supports up to three guest networks?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/

That's an expensive AP.

jmwills,

You think that's expensive? Have a look at this http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-PRO-Enterprise-System/dp/B0089QB1SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382813817&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+unifi+pro

And that's just an access point and I don't believe it performs as well the Asus, I know because I tried it and returned it. At least using something like the AsusRT-N66U you can use it as a router and or an access point with a click of a button and the performance is great on Asus devices.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Mr Fixit

I'll take the Asus router to any third party solution ,inlcuding pfSense or unTangle

I agree to disagree with you. Yes I would take an Asus over many third party solution if that's your only option and need an all-in-one solution but that said if you have the room for separate devices like I do and a budget that can handle it then I prefer separate devices for each task. I have a Super Micro mini 1U Atom D525 server that hosts my unTangle router that goes to a NetGear GS724T 24 Port Smart Switch then I use an Asus router for my WiFi only. This setup has proved to give me the best performance and reliability to date. Will the All-In-One solution work? Of course it will if that's your only option and or you don't have the funds to separate out the network as I have then I would choose Asus over many other brands.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Mr Fixit

Jason,

Just wondering, Y do you need to ad a separate device for guest network when the RT-N66U supports up to three guest networks?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/

Under pfsense I have a separate NIC assigned to a guest interface that uses a captive portal. I use and old Linksys WRT54G on it. Whereas my primary LAN has the ASUS running as it's 801.11n AP.

Under pfsense I have a separate NIC assigned to a guest interface that uses a captive portal. I use and old Linksys WRT54G on it. Whereas my primary LAN has the ASUS running as it's 801.11n AP.

O Ok, Just food for thought, You could just use the Asus for this if its only basic guest access unless your trying to charge people or something more complicated then you would have to use pfsense.

I agree to disagree with you. Yes I would take an Asus over many third party solution if that's your only option and need an all-in-one solution but that said if you have the room for separate devices like I do and a budget that can handle it then I prefer separate devices for each task. I have a Super Micro mini 1U Atom D525 server that hosts my unTangle router that goes to a NetGear GS724T 24 Port Smart Switch then I use an Asus router for my WiFi only. This setup has proved to give me the best performance and reliability to date. Will the All-In-One solution work? Of course it will if that's your only option and or you don't have the funds to separate out the network as I have then I would choose Asus over many other brands.

Just my 2 cents.

For some reason I could not edit my post because the system said I cant edit my own post so I am re-posting with my edits here-

I agree to disagree with you. Yes I would take an Asus over many third party solution if that's your only option and need an all-in-one solution but that said if you have the room for separate devices like I do and a budget that can handle it then I prefer separate devices for each task. I have a Super Micro mini 1U Atom D525 server that hosts my unTangle router that goes to a NetGear GS724T 24 Port Smart Switch then I use an Asus router for my WiFi only. This setup has proved to give me the best performance and reliability to date. Will the All-In-One solution work? Well depending on the number of devices on your network of course it could but if your like me and have close to 35 devices on your network and climbing each month it seems from everything from multiple printers to desktop computers to tablets, smart phones, security cameras, home automation, family members vpning into my network to do backups and use network resources, Then the All-In-One solution is not the best way to go but if that's your only option and or you don't have the funds to separate out the network as I have then I would choose Asus over many other brands.

Disclaimer, With the number of devices on my network segregating out the devices like I have done and not using an All-In-One solution has proved to be the best performing for me but that does not mean an All-In-One solution would not work for you and if your going an all-in-one solution then I heavily recommend Asus. Sorry for the long post but I only hope this helps someone trying to figure out what to setup in there own environment.

Just my 2 cents.

jmwills,

You think that's expensive? Have a look at this http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-PRO-Enterprise-System/dp/B0089QB1SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382813817&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+unifi+pro

And that's just an access point and I don't believe it performs as well the Asus, I know because I tried it and returned it. At least using something like the AsusRT-N66U you can use it as a router and or an access point with a click of a button and the performance is great on Asus devices.

Just my 2 cents

We have those AP's in our housing units here in Kandahar.

We have those AP's in our housing units here in Kandahar.

I am not saying they don't have a place because they do. I just saying for home use the Asus performs better.